What’s the better Linux distro between Cinnamon and Ubuntu?

Marcel Nelles September 16, 2012

What’s the better Linux distro between Cinnamon and Ubuntu? And why do you prefer it? Ease of use is important.

1. josemon maliakal

I suggest Ubuntu ..

2. Declan Lopez

Cinnamon is a desktop environment that you can install on Ubuntu.

3. shaurya gupta

go for ubuntu, there is good integration of softwares like software center, thunderbird mail, gwibber social client, ubuntu one, libre office. I use it and it is pretty cool.
    cinnamon is a desktop environment. ... ubuntu's next version 12.10 is also cumin'.

• Marcel Nelles

Ok, tnx.
      But how do i solve the problem of pc-banking, witch is only possible with IE9.
      I tried wine once, long ago, but it didn't work.

• shaurya gupta

wine works for me. but you can use agent switcher for firefox.

• Marcel Nelles

i'll try as soon as i instaal ubuntu again.
          tnx

4. Abidhusain Momin

Ubuntu is best for beginner to expert level.

Cinnamon flavour is used in Linux mint and is in constant development.So,those who had installed it has some sort of minor stability issues but if you've good PC configuration,then you can use it if you hate Unity interface of Ubuntu.

On the other side,you can install Cinnamon in Ubuntu and switch between Unity and Cinnamon.

Given that,there were many complaints regarding usability of Unity interface of Ubuntu,I would recommend you Cinnamon.

6. mohit kumar

Of course Ubuntu.

7. Vishal Mishra

You should go for ubuntu if your are new linux as you can find lots of article and help for ubuntu and it's also relatively easy to use for beginners.

8. S V Swamy

I have not tried either but am reading good things about Ubuntu. Planning to try it as an option on my windows pc one of these days.

9. Hiren Patel

Easy to use & reliable Linux OS is Ubuntu which i prefer.
    Don't know about Cinnamon.

10. Harish Jonnalagadda

Cinnamon is an environment, and when it comes to choosing a Linux distro which is the easiest to use, I'd go for Ubuntu.

• Darren Reynolds

I agree, Ubuntu is an excellent distro especially for the beginner

• Tug Ricks

Not sure if this is the place to voice this, but I found Ubuntu to be somewhat user unfriendly. I'm probably just an idiot, but even simple things like putting shortcuts on the desktop proved to be a challenge. :p

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Really? I use a Linux distro at work, Red Hat, and Ubuntu at home. I found that Ubuntu is by far the easier to use. Have tried out a few others before settling on Ubuntu. If you are facing any difficulties with navigating in Ubuntu, why not check out the makeuseof manaul: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide

It is very useful!

• Tug Ricks

Thanks man! The guide definitely helped me to better understand the basics of setting up Ubuntu. I set it up via Wubi and so far so good. I've even figured out how to add shortcuts to the desktop!

• Marcel

Ok, I get it. I think. But that leaves my problem opening the dos app. win7 refuses to run it. Anyone, why?

• Marcel

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide is a DOS application, yes? How come win7 won't run it. On my pc that is.

Is Cinnamon a Linux distro or a desktop environment. As far as my knowledge goes, it is the later. If I am not wrong, the latest version of Linux Mint is being ported with cinnamon.

I can't find any information on a Cinnamon distro. Do you have a link for it? Now there is a Cinnamon shell for the GNOME desktop that is used in Linux Mint as well as other distros. So do you want a comparison between Mint with the Cinnamon desktop and the Ubuntu Unity desktop? If that's the case, I prefer the Cinnamon desktop over Unity because it is not wasting screen real estate with a funky little touch screen oriented bar with animated icons. I'm the type that want something that just does the required job without simply being eye-candy. If I want eye-candy, I'll just hang out at the mall and watch the girls going by.