Which Linux distro is best for home users?

Dr.sunil V September 24, 2014

Which version of Linux best for the home user? I have heard names like Ubuntu and many other names.

Linux mint is the best OS for home user according to me as many things works out of box which home users desire.

Plenty of good advice here. Dragonmouth's ideas are closest to my own. One thing to note about Ubuntu is that it is available in several "flavours". Xubuntu and Lubuntu are lightweight versions of the distro, and Kubuntu is based on KDE, but they can all run the same applications are closely related to each other.

Zorin is the version that looks most like Windows, but I've had little luck in getting it to work on my hardware.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. a) Would all windows apps ( even Flash player for streaming videos , Skype ) work with Linux?
      b) What hardware discrepancy caused you not to use Linux on your workstation?

• Oron J

a) Windows apps won't run on Linux (not without an emulator or Wine, anyway). You need to use Linux versions of same. Many applications and technologies are availbable for Linux, including Flash Player and Skype.
      b) It simply didn't work (hung during bootup). I did not spend much time trying to diagnose it as this would be the antithesis of "easy migration from Windows".

3. dragonmouth

"Best" is a very vague term. It depends on what do you want to do and on your computer background.
    If you want to switch from Windows to Linux, get Zorin.
    If you just want to surf the 'Net, do some email, get Puppy or Slitaz.
    If you want do not want to get deep into Linux, get Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint.
    If you are interested in learning Linux, get anitX or Slackware.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. Would installing Linux as Triple-boot with Win XP and win 7 affect the working of either?

Make Switching From Windows To Linux Easier With Zorin OS
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/switching-windows-linux-easier-zorin-os/

5. Jeff F

If you are a new user to Linux, I would suggest you start with LXLE. It is based on Lubuntu which in turn is based on Ubuntu - however, it is much easier to use, very fast and can be shaped to the way you want. Download a copy of the OS and burn it to a CD. You do not need to install it until you're happy with what you find. The OS is loaded from CD into RAM and will not alter your PC in anyway. However, you will not be able to save any of your work to your PC. Once you install it, you're sure to grow to like it. You can, if you wish, install it to dual boot with Windows and simply select either OS you wish to use at boot up time. Have fun.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. Please tell , are common windows apps compatible with the distro