Is there a Linux distribution that comes with standard software for Computer Science students?

risman October 17, 2010

Is there any Linux distribution that includes software that is needed by computer science students? For example, what I need are cross platform IDE for Pascal, C, Delphi, C++, and Java programming language. I know I can install them separately in most Linux distributions, but I don’t have internet connection for my PC, so I need them installed by default.

1. Ragpicker14

Get a linux DVD & after installation of the OS , install all IDEs you need. I personally prefer Debian GNU/Linux. It is a universal operating system which can be installed easily on any PC/Laptop. It comes with a set of 5 to 6 DVDs though even the first DVD may be enough for installing all what you need. You may try it. Thank you.
    Ragpicker

2. risman

Thank's all for your answers and suggestions. Those are really helpful and opened my mind :)

3. ChiJoan

You can buy a set of Debian DVDs that is complete. UberStudent based on Ubuntu will mail out DVDs, too.

ChiJoan in Reno

4. slopoke

Hey guy! Take a look at DEBIAN EDU NW 6.0 or newer. It's geared toward students and has computor tutorials. Helps to have internet to use more courses. They have intruction for all languages. I'm going to look at toot's sugestion too.

5. Ragpicker

I would rather suggest any of the following distros have all the tools to learn and develope in the languages that you mentioned and many more:
    Debian GNU/Linux DVDs/Debian-Edu DVD/gNewSense CD
    All these OSes are free to download and thereafter you have to write the iso files in a CD. gNewSense you can install on a USB flash drive also. Personally I would suggest Debian-Edu (Skolelinux) which can be installed as a stand alone system also in the absence of internet connection. In fact Emacs can work as perfect editor for all the languages you mentioned. Of course you may have to install some libraries from those CD/DVDs for perfect programming. Debian-edu has many more things for a computer science student.

6. toot

I am not sure if this Linux distro does fit to your purpose. The distro is based on Ubuntu, best use in scientific applications like mathematics, graphics, programming language and etc.

You may want to give it a try: http://www.en.poseidonlinux.org/

7. Jessica Cam W.

You can try using Reconstructor or Remastersys, which allow you to create a CD and add custom packages to software you want (e.g. Eclipse, NetBeans).

But couldn't you download the installation files to a thumb drive? You can then install the program without an Internet connection.

Hey Jessica,

I am amazed at how do you know that much of stuff! Thanks for your answers, I learned lots from them. ;-)

• Jessica Cam W.

Actually, MUO has taught me a lot of this stuff, plus, open-source anything like Linux is a gift to humanity so it should be spread! :)