Why will my Linksys WSB54gV2 wireless USB adapter not auto connect on startup?

Ray Nelson August 17, 2011

Our WSB54gV2 wireless USB adapter will not auto connect when powering up the computer. It arrives at a state “You are connected to access point, but internet can not be found”. However, even though it says it’s connected, I can not access the Router using it’s address (192.168.1.254).

I set up (in the Linksys WLAN Monitor V2.0 Profiles) Auto-Connect and that feature does not work.

But I can connect by running the Monitor after doing a site survey, selecting the access point and hitting connect button.

I have checked all the parameters, especially spelling of the SSID, the security, encryption and passphrase.

I have input fixed Network Settings (IP address, SubNet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS1, and DNS2 and also let it Obtain settings automatically (DHCP)

The only option I have not tried and don’t understand is the Ad-Hoc Wireless Mode.

I have re-downloaded and reinstalled drivers and software.

As a Note, If I ask Windows to ‘Repair’ the connection it proceeds until “Connecting to Wireless Network” fails. This feature used to work too.

This creates an issue because I have a Kids Partition (K9 protected) and they can not just login and connect.

We have done so well, I thought to try solving this problem.

This is a Windows XP system, fully patched. It used to work, but once it stopped over a year ago, I was never able to get it going again.

1. Ed

your Linksys USB will timeout if the room is too hot!!! Turn the air down and you should be ok!!

Step 1: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Start' button.Step 2: With the left mouse button, click on 'Control Panel'.Step 3: With the left mouse button, click on 'Network and Internet Connections' (Network Connections, if in Classic View).Step 4: With the left mouse button, click on 'Network Connections'.Step 5: With the right mouse button, click on the 'Wireless Network Connection'.Step 6: With the left mouse button, click on 'Properties' button.Step 7: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Wireless Networks' tab.Step 8: With the left mouse button, click on the name of the wireless network, under 'Preferred networks', that you want to automatically connect to.Step 9: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Properties' button.Step 10: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Connection' tab.Step 11: Ensure there is a checkmark in the checkbox, next to'Connect when this network is in range'.Step 12: With the left mouse button, click on the 'OK' button.Step 13: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Advanced' button.Step 14: With the left mouse button, click to select 'Access point (infrastructure) networks only ' (This will help prevent your connection from bouncing around from one network to another).Step 15: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Close' button.Step 16: With the left mouse button, click on the 'OK' button.  
    The problem is possibly with the encrypted network. change the setting on my router  from WPA-PSK to unencrypted, and see any connection.

Symantec have posted a tool for cleaning up the Windows Registry after the mess left behind caused by a conflict between SP3 and Norton products. It is available at: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tutorials/SymRegFix.exe

• Ray Nelson

My first step, after backing up, I tried the command sequence you proposed.  All commands completed without error , but after rebooting, the behavior has not changed.

open "Network Connections" from the control panel.

Right-click on the "Wireless Connection" and click "properties". There
        should be (3) tabs on the dialog box and you want to select the one
        titled "Advanced". See if the "Internet Connection Sharing" box is "UNCHECKED" and "turn off" the ICF Firewall.

TRy WinSockXP
        http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

solution possible
        Windows XP has the 'Wireless Zero Configuration'

Windows XP has the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service which is responsible
        for automatically setting up wireless network connections. It seems this service
        has an unwanted side effect with some network card drivers which causes
        connections to suspend every minute while it scans for wireless LANs. Disabling
        the service prevents the 3 second timeouts but you do lose the automatic
        configuration.If you want to disable the service go to:---Control
        Panel, Administrative Tools and then Services.---Click on 'Wireless Zero
        Configuration' in the list of services .---Click 'Stop' to disable the
        service.---To prevent it from running when you reboot:---Right click
        and choose properties.---Pick disabled for the startup type.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms706593(v=vs.85).aspx

See if stopping will work then if not restart wireless Zero Configuration
        How do I start the Wireless/WLAN Zero Configuration?
        http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/965

I would try to use the built-in Wireless Zero Configuration instead of the Linksys WLAN Monitor.

First of all remove the Linksys Software from your System. This should either be possible via an uninstall entry within the Start menu or via "Add or remove Programs" at the computers Control Panel.

Then hit Start > Run (Windowskey + R), type services.msc in the box and click on OK. In the Services list look for "Wireless Zero Configuration" and set it to start automatically (via right-click properties).

If everything was done correct there should be a "no connection" notice in the lower right of your screen including a tray icon for the wireless connection. You will have to connect to your WiFi network once again. After a reboot Windows XP should then automatically connect to the network and internet

• Ray Nelson

IT WORKS....

I decided to take a chance and just enable the Wireless Zero Configuration and see what happens (without deinstalling Linksys).   It fired up the network using the "Windows Wireless Network Connection" ICON in the task bar, and after typing in the Password it connected and provided Internet access.

Next I found that, after uninstalling the Linksys software things no longer worked (and that made sense because i inferred the driver had been de-installed too)

So I re-installed the driver using Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Scan for changes .... etc....

I also rechecked the "Wireless Zero Configuration" in services and found the deinstallation had disabled it and changed it to manual, so I reset it again.

Reboot, and everything comes up automatically.

So in the end, Everything is working and no Linksys Software is installed (except for the device driver).

You guys are good...

in closing, I don't know whether or not the Wireless Zero Configuration" would have driven installation of the driver.  

I didn't really think the driver was going to be removed too [since I never really use those tools shipped with WiFi devices] but it sounds reasonable.

Wireless Zero Configuration wouldn't have done the driver installation. It's solely purpose is to handle configuration and connection to the networks ~ but you figured it out on your own, good job.

Glad we could help