Why is my Linksys Am300 modem not working on new Dell Inspiron 14R?

Suhel December 24, 2011

I just got a Dell Inspiron 14R and I’ve tried to connect my Linksys AM300 modem with it and it just won’t work.

I’ve installed the drivers from the Linksys website, but still it won’t work. The modem is flawlessly working on my home computer (it got Windows XP), but it’s being a pain to get it work on my laptop (it has Windows 7).

Hello, if you run an ipconfig command in your laptop, what IP address do you get?  If your modem is working ok with your XP desktop and it doesn't work with your new laptop, you might have to check for a firmware update for your modem.  To check if there is any firmware update, you could try the following link:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=923dbf4ab8444abd9a9b8c1ef46f812b_18482.xml

If by any change you check your IP address with ipconfig command and you get and address like 169.254.xxx.xxx, you could try the following in your laptop:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search box
    -- once command prompt opens, type the following

ipconfig /all

-- If you get and address like 169.254.xxx.xxx under ethernet adapter local network connection, type the following commands next and press enter after each one:

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

-- try connecting to your modem with your laptop

Also, follow the advice given by Tina and see if there is any kind of MAC filtering going on.  Some modems have the option especially if they are a modem/router combo.

Suhel,

What happens when you try to connect with your new Dell to the modem?

How do you try to connect? Wirelessly or via LAN cable?

Did you by any chance enable MAC address filtering on your modem?

Please give us some more information. Thank you!

• Suhel

I finally managed to connect it. the problem was I mistakenly installed old drivers (xp ones) and it got into registry. I removed all the entries manually and installed new drivers from some other forums. They had somehow new drivers. Thanks for publishing and answering. :)

Thanks for the update, Suhel!