Are all the links on this website legal?

SA January 5, 2012

I wanted to get a few video clips off of YouTube or somewhere similar, but wasn’t really sure how, so I came here. But before I try out any of the links on your website, I just want to make sure that it’s all legal.

1. Jay.0

If you want to download videos,

You can use this firefox addon videodownload helper
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper

or

this software DAP:
    http://download.speedbit.com/dap97.exe

It is up to you whether you use them for illegal activities or legal.

On the subject of Youtube, 

Downloading Vidoes that are copyrighted it illegal

Anything that they SPECIFICALLY say it is ok to download or say CC.

The thing about downloading youtube videos is that noone outside your network can tell whether you are downloading or viewing the video (I got in trouble once because the downloader I was using had a bad SLL certificate) 

The FBI or any other authoritative organization (Besides the person who owns the copyright) is not going to care that you are downloading Youtube videos, unless you have done worse thing they can add too...

3. Dave Parrack

As Jeff stated, MakeUseOf wouldn't intentionally link to illegal content. However, the legality of certain websites and software is still in question, with the legal establishment struggling to keep up with the pace of change on the Internet. If you're talking about software that downloads YouTube videos I'd argue that is way down the list of misdemeanors. And even if it were considered a crime the end user would be way down the list of people to question over it.

No website in the world could guarantee complete legality of all outbound links. But we do what we can. If you don't feel comfortable doing something you feel could be less than legal then probably best not to do it.

Yes, MakeUseOf only links to legal material and will explicitly remove illegal content. Of course, some software featured on MakeUseOf is very versatile, if a few bad apples decide to use the software/article for nefarious purposes, MakeUseOf isn't to be held responsible. You'll find on articles that could be perceived as possibly malicious (such as network security) the author will explicitly state that the information provided is for educational purposes only.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure someone else can expand on this. However, if you're downloading videos off YouTube, it's only legal if it's distributed with the Creative Commons license. If the video uses YouTube's standard license, you are limited to YouTube's Terms Of Service which states in 5.B "You shall not download any Content unless you see a 'download' or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content." (i.e when distributed with the creative commons license).