Can I link a MacBook Pro laptop to a secondary wireless router, which is connected wirelessly to a primary router?

Justine-Paula Robilliard October 7, 2012

I am renting a room in a house, that has communal wireless internet access, WPA2 PSK. When I am in the lounge I get coverage for my laptop, good speed. When I move into my bedroom, I get 1 bar of signal and very, very weak coverage/reception.

I would like to install a wireless router in my bedroom to pick up the signal from the communal wireless router, and attach my laptop via Ethernet to the 2nd router in my bedroom. I don’t play games or stream video, not enough bandwidth for such, we have 384kbps line out here.

Is this possible? From what I have seen it should be possible, and this website explains in a clear way how to do it. I am just waiting for the 2nd router to be dropped off.

1. Sashritha Peiris

Your setup will work fine, but if your computer can not pick up the signal, the router cant pick the signal up as well. Also are you sure your router can pick up a wifi signal and turn it into ethernet? I recommend you have your router in the lounge and get a long ethernet cable to your bedroom (if possible). That is the only sollution I can think of. Unless you can affor a powerline router which sends internet through the mains power

2. Christopher Webb

Yeah you can. I think they made the mini-airport for that purpose.

3. Adam Campbell

I would go with a wired option, however that doesn't answer your question. It dounds possible in theory but as others have said you won't gain much in practice... sorry for the not-answer answer

4. Paolo Maffezzoli

Another solution could be a powerline adapter to send the signal from the router to the other room. See the TP-Link Powerline Adapter , the price is good , also performance and stability are excellent.

5. Jacob Mathew

Yes you can but you have will have to move the primary router someplace near the bedroom to get a better reception

If your new wireless router doesn't support bridge mode out of the box, I would recommend installing DD-WRT or Tomato on it.

7. April Eum

yes it is possible

8. Alex Perkins

Yes, definitely possible, see if in the settings of the secondary router if there is a "repeater" option or something similar.

9. Jan Fritsch

sounds like a classic wireless bridge setup ~ so yes, should be possible

But I'm afraid it won't solve your problem. The router in your bedroom won't have a better connection to the wireless network than your MBP in the same room.

This setup only makes sense if you move the bridge in a better position e.g. outside the bedroom where it gets a better signal and then connect your MBP to it using a cable.

Otherwise you just "move" the problem of a weak signal from your MBP to the bridge/client mode router.

10. Muhammad idrees

Access your local real estate and office space market. Follow active brokers, agents and professionals. and hapen us with this world at ever time is coming Track new property listings and available spaces and stay informed of completed deals in your area