Is there a limit on video card upgrades for my PC?

Taufiq Alabi May 10, 2012

I use a Gateway E4300 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz. I want to play latest games.

1. Bernard Thomas

when watching my computer on my 46" Samsung i get a grainy picture also video games have horrible latency. can i get a few suggestions on what type of video card i need to purchase to improve the performance?

Hello, the only limit you have is the one provided by your motherboard. If the motherboad has a a PCI-E 16x slot for graphics, that is the only kind of graphic cards your system can use. Keep in mind that when buying a graphics card is like buyin anything else.....you can pay a lot or a little.

Now with regards to gaming, you could have the best graphics card but if your system is lacking with other hardware requirements, best graphics card is of little use. Best advice is to only run games where your system fills at least the minimun requeriments.

3. Oron

Your PC can take one PCI-E ×16 card, so that's what you should look for! By and large, the more you pay, the faster the card, and there's no huge difference between AMD (ATi) and NVidia at most price points. However, bear these points in mind:
    * The cheepest graphics cards will not offer much power for gaming.
    * Your processor is relatively slow by today's standards, so there's also no point in spending hundreds of dollars on the fastest and latest card. Your likely budget should be somewhere between $50-150 (depending of course on your country as well as everything else...)
    * Every game has certain requirements in terms of version of Direct X (9, 10 etc), memory and processing power. Look at the requirements of specific games you want to play and write them down, then check graphics cards at various price points and see if they meet the requirements.
    * It's always a good idea to spend a little bit more on a faster card (or one with more memory). Consult http://www.videocardbenchmark.net or tom's hardware to see the relative speed of the card you want to buy, and what models are directly above it, and check their price.

Good luck!