What is LimeWire and is it legal to use?

cybergeezer April 28, 2010

I see that some answers for seeing free movies suggest using LimeWire.
Wouldn’t I be put in legal jeopardy if I download a movie I haven’t paid for?

1. arrchier bay

>> Wouldn’t I be put in legal jeopardy if I download a movie I haven’t paid for?

you mean, if you steal a movie, is there a rist you might be "responsible" for it?

do i really need to answer that? lol

limewire is a P2P client, built to share data - P2P is very efficient and clever way to distribute large files among many users, brilliant for photos, audio/video, updates etc... As you download you're sharing too.

if you share something that's not yours or your're not alloweed to, you've got a potential problem, right?

afaik limewire has been shut down by now and had to pay large sum for allowing copyright infringement (google the details please)

so, what's the question again?

2. mike

I use it and have had no difficulties. I only download music and I don't do anything that I don't "know" about--just to be safe. I don't allow access to my machine however.

3. vdchile

One of my techie friends told me to avoid LimeWire unless you want to infect your machine.

Just like any other P2P software, Limewire is safe as long as you know
      exactly what you're doing and familiar with general security aspects.

Aibek

4. Taty

And if you absolutely must use it, at least encrypt the folder where you are saving the files.

• Jack Cola

Make sure you read the setup settings carefully so you don't share everything on your computer by mistake.

5. Binoy xavier

Agree with @Aibek.Instead of Torrenting and using P2P softwares you cab rely on free legal websites.But new content wont be available most of the times :)

While downloading the copyrighted content considered illegal you're unlikely to get into trouble with your ISP or authorities unless you're distributing this content (i.e. using torrents). That being said if you're in US or UK I would suggest not to download illegal content at all unless you "know exactly what you're doing". Streaming movies online on site like Hulu is far safer alternative.

7. Saikat Basu

In absolute black and white terms, it is illegal. But the other truth is that it goes on, otherwise it wouldn't have been so rampant. Every country has different laws regarding that...some countries are very strict on it.

The good aspect of all this is that there are lots of legal downloads too.

antonio_rm is correct.

Basically, it a program that people use to download movies, music, software, video, audio and all other kind of things. However, most of these things are illegal.

Limewire is a free p2p (peer-to-peer) software client, used to share any kind of file through the web. And yes, with any kind I'm referring to both legal and illegal files.

You'd probably be in legal jeopardy when downloading copyrighted material (software, music or audiovisual content), so it's a good idea to check your country's legislation about it when in doubt.

Cheers!