How likely is it Ubuntu tablets will become popular?

Rajaa C April 14, 2014

Do you think Ubuntu tablets may become popular?

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU

1. ocdobbs

I don't think Ubuntu tablets will be successful . As has been pointed out, there are already established alternatives. I ran Ubuntu for awhile on my netbook but went back to Windows 7 for app compatibility reasons. I use an iPhone and an Android tablet but soon to get the iPad. There just isn't the customer base.

2. Ryan D

On the flip side - if the assumption is that the tablet platform will become more and more powerful over time (after all, many Windows 8 tablets double as laptops now) - it's conceivable that in short order tablets will be powerful enough to run a full-blown Ubuntu distro.

The question then is which OS will be more popular on a tablet platform, something like Ubuntu or something like Windows 8? I personally can't stand Windows 8 - it's meant to be intuitive on a tablet but it's awkward and strange to me (maybe I just have to get used to it). However, should the platform ever be powerful enough to run it - I can't see why Ubuntu couldn't give others a run for their money. In fact, the public willingness to use a different OS than Windows when they use tablets is a golden opportunity for the world to finally make the transition away from Microsoft entirely (or mostly) - so, why not Ubuntu?

• Rajaa C

Ryan,

Check the links I have mentioned above in the previous two comments which actually fall in line with your comment. :)

3. dragonmouth

The tablet platform is not powerful enough to run a full-blown Ubuntu distro satisfactorily. However, if it were, there would be no need for new app since Ubuntu repositories already have some 36,000+ applications. Those applications are fully functional, not some cut-down, Mickey Mouse, single function, toy applications for a phone. Nevertheless, as Oron said, iOS and Android already have the market cornered.

In my opinion - no. There's nothing wrong with the concept, but iOS and Android already beat it to the mark, and the biggest single feature people want to see when they get a phone or tablet is apps. App developers already have their hands full with iOS apps and multiple versions of Android, and with Tizen, Mozilla and other mobile OSs on the horizon, they're not going to rush out in their thousands to develop new apps for this new OS.

That's not to say it won't have some success, perhaps in emerging or niche markets, but otherwise, I think it will stay on the margins for a long time to come.