I’m looking for a very lightweight OS that I can install on an older computer that I am currently using as a network media player. Hard drive space isn’t an issue, its the processor and ram that is out of date on this computer.
Currently I have Windows 7 installed with every bell and whistles turned off, but it is hideously slow. The reason I like Windows 7 is because the File Sharing within the Homegroup quickly updates and never seems to have trouble connecting.
-Needs to be able to play shared network files. All types of videos and audio. Currently VLC works perfectly.
-Needs to be able to run a internet browser. Ideally this would be chrome.
-Needs to be fast and lightweight.
Optionals (Would be nice to have, not needed):
-Windows IR Media Center Remote support.
-Wireless mouse / keyboard support.
-Beautiful intuitive interface (I have many technically ‘slow’ friends using it)
What I’ve looked into:
- Jolicloud | http://www.jolicloud.com/ | Too social for me, this is a shared computer, don’t need it for anything but casual internet and media.
- xPUD | http://www.xpud.org/index.en.html | Looks like it just is a browser? No networked media support
- Splashtop | http://www.splashtop.com/os | I don’t see anything about shared medai support, I have a hipster hate attitude towards Bing and IE
- Damn Small Linux (DSL) | http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ | Looks like file sharing is hard to set up, couldnt find any info about it.
- Puppy Linux | http://www.puppylinux.com/ | Again, couldnt find info about streaming from shared network source
- Chromium / Chrome OS | Couldnt find a good build.. dont even know if this should be considered?
Thanks for any help!