Which is the best light-weight operating system to install beside Windows?

Keefe August 23, 2011

I’ve seen a couple of articles here and there on MakeUseOf about such operating systems, so I know they exists, but when I go searching for them, I can’t find them.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend me the best light-weight operating system, that I could install beside Windows. I want to use it when I just want to browse the web quickly, so I don’t need to load Windows, and wait for it to boot up.

So…any suggestions? Oh, and if possible, could it run Firefox or Chrome, and have a decent look to it please?

1. Alfi

Just browse for GoogleOS or Chromium OS, if you just want to browse or work, so this kind of Operating System is clearly the best OS for you. This OS a cloud OS and the first time you start it, you will find the first time it will load is Google Chrome. Some people says that this Operating System is a browser (But i don't believe that).

2. Martimore

As for me, Joli OS is actualy quite decent, and it's ability to browse local drives while beeing a cloud OS really made my day.

3. Keefe

Thank you! ^^ Although this didn't actually help my choice in what to choose, it does give me alot of options I can use for fixing things with computers. It's my one talent, and passion! ^^ Hence why I'm with MakeUseOf. X3

It sounds like xPUD would be a good solution for this.  It boots in about 10 seconds on average.  It is mainly a web browser and media player.  Other stuff can be added, but it would defeat the purpose.

• Jeffery Fabish

I pretty much guarantee you won't even get passed your BIOS in ten seconds. But to be sure, I'm installing it in VirtualBox.

thanks for the input Akash :)

6. Osama

hmm I think I should give xvideoservicethief a try.

• Jeffery Fabish

xVideoServiceThief is a video scraper, not an operating system. 

• Osama

oh actually what happened is I got multiple opened tabs when I was typing it and this comment was for my video downloader question, not for this one. I mistakenly posted it here.

• Jeffery Fabish

I have used it for about a year without any problems. Works as advertised. Let us know how you find it.

It depends on what you consider lightweight.
    In general Linux is more lightweight then Windows but fully features distributions like Ubuntu etc. won't boot that much faster.

If you are looking for one of those "Instant-on" solutions which takes mere seconds to boot you should give Splashtop OS a try.

Other options would be lightweight Linux distros like DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux.

http://www.splashtop.com/os
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    http://www.puppylinux.com/

• Keefe

Yeah...i messed up on my definition of 'lightweight'. I'm sorry! >< But anyways, what i'm looking for is something that boot quickly, is able to use the internet ASAP, looks decent, and I'm able to add extensions to either Firefox, or Chrome.

8. Susendeep Dutta

Jolicloud is good.It has better interface.

• Jeffery Fabish

Jolicloud requires at least 512MB of ram.and 4 GB's of disk space, where as DSL requires 8 MB RAM and only 50 MB disk space. Puppy Linux can run off of 128 MB RAM and no disk space (runs completely in ram). Basic Linux requires 12MB RAM and only 4 MB's of disk space, plus it will run on pretty much anything. 

• Susendeep Dutta

DSL and puppy linux are more lightweight than Jolicloud.I recommended Jolicloud because it looks good as this was Keefe's requirement .

• Keefe

Thank you! Although, I'm looking into it, actually. I'm trying to compare JoliOS with Splashtop's OS.

• Keefe

How fast does Jolicloud boot up? Because what I want to use it for is to quickly be on the internet, really.

• Srcat58

Joli takes about 30 to 45 seconds to boot.

The boot time also depends on the hardware specs. I have a system now which reboots Windows 7 64 bit in about 30 sec.
          The one before that would take about 3-4 min.

Aibek

Windows is not lightweight. If you're looking for lightweight, use Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux (DSL) or Basic Linux.

These are bare minimal distributions, however Ubuntu and Mint are both full-featured, very easy to use and lightweight.

I second that. Windows is easier for non-techies but it's definitely not a lightweight operating system.
      Depending on your needs you might go with specific Linux distrbution. For basic daily use Ubuntu should
      be a good choice especially if you're new to Linux. For instance, if you're looking for an OS to administer
      the server there are other customized distros. There are many options bascially but overall Linux is a lot
      lighter than Windows.

• Keefe

I know Windows isn't lightweight, but thank you. ^^;; I think I maybe used the wrong word. You see, what I meant by lightweight is something that loads fast, so I can be able to browse the internet quickly. So i didn't quite mean something thats small (because my laptop is a powerhouse!), I just wanted something that boots fast. (which would have to be lightweight, right?)

If your laptop has some nice hardware specs than Windows 7 should be running pretty fast as well. Maybe the issues is int he amount of pregrams that load on boot? The more programs load on boot the slower is Windows startup time

I suggest running Soluto and follow its recommmendations. I have Windows 7 OS on my primary system and it boots in  about 20 seconds. http://www.soluto.com/

Use Soluto To Improve Your Windows Boot Up Time
        http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/soluto-improve-windows-boot-time/

• Keefe

Yes...i already have Soluto, and I do use it. ^^;; The problem is there is just programs that need to boot-up with Windows, so as long as I want my computer to function the way I want it to, then they have to remain in the boot-up. But thanks anyways! ^^