Why won’t my Lexmark X5410 printer take new and original ink cartridges?

Paulah May 13, 2011

I have a Lexmark X5410 All in One. I know about Lexmark’s LAME failsafe measures to keep people from getting refills or controlling their ink levels, but I replaced the orig cartridges (28 & 29) with Lexmark 32 & 33 (Ink COMBO PACK purchased from Best Buy), which STATES compatibility with X5410 ON THE BOX.

I get “Unsupported Cartridge” error from the Lexmark Software, and “Right cartridge Incorrect” “Left cartridge Incorrect” errors on the printer’s display! I tried Lexmark online solutions, nothing changed.

Does anyone have any experience with resolving this (#%&*!!!) problem?

Now I’m out another $40 some dollars for cartridges I can’t return. And yes – I KNOW – I’m trying to replace the ink with cartridge numbers that are NOT the same, however, the correct printer model is CLEARLY marked on the packaging of the new cartridges. I want my printer to work! But barring that, I want my dang money back… this is infuriating! HELPPPP!! Anyone?

1. Ursome1special

I am having the same comment on my printer.  I am throwing it out the window and buying a new printer.  I have paid for 2 cartridge and both working for a little time then I get an error message.  NO MORE LEXMARK!!!!!

2. Jamaricandime03

hey i too just bought new ink for my printer the lemark x5410 all in one and ive been using the 32 and 33 for almost 2 years now im gettin the same messages of left and right cartridge incorrect...what gives lemark?!

3. Jim

My X5410 used to accept the #32 black ink cartridge until yesterday when it returned a incompatible cartridge error.  I'm thinking that Lexmark must be re-programming the printer whenever it forces you to connect to the internet.  I will not ever buy another Lexmark printer.  Jim, Elgin, IL

Jim,

if you're looking for another solution to re-fill the ink cartridge, I recommend to ask a new question.

Paulah,

were you able to add the new cartridges to your printer when following Mike's suggestions? Please let us know whether or not it worked. Thank you!

• Paulah

I've tried Mikes Suggestions - to no avail. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer, device drivers and software - to no avail. I've tried the troubleshooting suggestions on the Lexmark site (which also indicates I have purchased the correct ink cartridges for my model of printer) - all resulting in the same errors.
      I am NEVER buying another Lexmark product, but that is the ONLY issue I have resolved. }P->

Paulah,

why can you not return the cartridges? Because you opened the package? That's not a reason! They don't work, so you are entitled to receive a replacement! Be persistent, but be nice. Explain what all you have tried, how much time you have wasted etc. You do have rights as a customer!

Is your printer still under warranty? Maybe you should return the printer. In any case, someone should give Lexmark hell for their crappy hardware. If you feel like doing that, try to get in touch with them. Again, be persistent, but nice.

On the other hand, why waste so much time for so little value. Just let it go and buy a new printer.

Lexmark are very annoying with those problems

- try taking it out and back in while the printer is turned on
    - try taking it out and back in while the printer is turned off
    - try clearing this error by inserting the old catridge and then retry

I'm not sure about Ink printer but for the  laser printer you were able to reset the chip:
    - turn off the printer
    - press ready & return while you power it on
    - now you should be in a maintenance menu where you have a reset option