Can I legally use Windows XP even after the sale was stopped?

Susendeep Dutta August 2, 2010

I have purchased a PC (assembled) from a local shop in 2007. I’m using Windows XP, which they have installed without taking a Windows XP license fee. Moreover, the sale of Windows XP was stopped.

So it is legal to use this installation of Windows XP?

1. Susendeep Dutta

I do not have any sticker on my pc and no installation disk of windows xp.Can I still use the one running in my pc? Since Microsoft had stopped selling windows xp do I stand in safe place?

If you have neither the installation disk, nor a serial number or sticker, and if Windows reports that it is not genuine, then by all means, you cannot use it legally and it won't be much fun, either.

If a Windows copy is not genuine, updates will stop and other annoying things may happen, at least while you're connecting to the internet.

I would get in touch with the guys at the shop who installed the operating system for you. Tell them about your concerns and ask them how to validate your Windows copy.

Very good advise from Oron and Mark. Additionally, if you were not provided with a genuine copy of Windows, you can find more information about obtaining a valid copy by visiting this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

3. Mark O'Neill

If you don't have an installation disk and serial number (I'm guessing not), then as 0ron says, check your machine for a sticker, which should show the serial number. If you have that, you're rocking. The fact that Microsoft is ceasing support for XP matters not a jot.

If you don't have that sticker, then you will need to buy a valid copy of Windows.

The main question is whether Microsoft have been paid for the licence (by the manufacturer or vendor), not whether you paid the shop for it. If there is a sticker on the machine, and it works and accepts updates, you can use it.
    Most Windows licences are in perpetuity, though Microsoft is in the process of ceasing support for it (meaning that new updates and information will not be posted in future) so you can continue using it for as long as it works.

I don't quite understand your question. It seems that you purchased a PC with Windows XP pre-installed. If it works, don't worry about it. If Windows detects it is not a genuine copy, you will know.

• Susendeep Dutta

Windows detected that it is not genuine.So what to do?please give suggestions.

• Susendeep Dutta

I have my pc parts of different companies like RAM of transcend,HDD of seagate,motherborad of ASrock etc .