Can I legally upgrade Windows XP with my Windows Vista Basic CD on my wife’s computer?

Myke46 August 26, 2010

Can I legally use my Windows Vista Basic disk to upgrade my wife’s Windows XP Professional system? She lost her original Windows XP disk. Are there other viable alternatives?

Good luck Myke, you should contact Dell rather than MS for the recovery CD.

Myke, as Tina says, you cannot use your Vista disc. However, the critical thing is the _licence_, not the disc, so if your wife's PC has an XP Certificate of Authenticity (shiny label) with a product code, you can borrow an XP installation disc and use that for the installation. Also, depending on the make and model of the PC, you may be able to get a recovery CD from the manufacturers.

• Myke46

Thanks to all of you.I believe my best option is what Oron suggested and see if I can get a recovery CD from (would that be Microsoft or Dell?).I recently shared an Ubuntu CD with her and I believe she's interested in making the "switch" a permanent one.However I would like her to base her decision on valid factors and not just because her computer is running like crap and XP just happens to be the existing OS.

Myke,the answer is no. This would not be legal.Below are the respective license terms for Windows Vista Home Basic English. You can look up other license terms on this Microsoft page.2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.a. Licensed Device.You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any other device.b. Number of Users.Except as provided in the Device Connections (all editions), Remote AccessTechnologies (Home Basic and Home Premium editions) and Other Access Technologies(Ultimate edition) sections below, only one user may use the software at a time.c. Alternative Versions.The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time.