Can I legally download a free copy of Windows 7 Home to use with my own serial key?
Question by Lewis /

I was just wondering whether I can legally *cough* download Windows 7 (for free) off of the internet for my laptop.
It already has Windows 7 Home, but I don’t have a hard drive to do a backup, and it doesn’t come with a disc. So can I download it off of the internet and burn a disc or something?

I am thinking of getting a portbale hard dive anyway. Can all hard drives have operating systems backed up onto them? Because on some hard drive reviews I have seen posts saying you cannot back up an operating system on this!

• D Steel83

HEY GUYS, THERES A LOT OF SOURCE WHERE TO DOWNLOAD A FREE TRIAL WINDOWS 7 , ANY VERSION BUT THE QUESTION IS HOW TO REGISTER IT WITH A VALID KEY, OF COURSE WHEN THE TRIAL EXPIRES, you have to buy a serial key…*sorry for the large font. anyway try to search the internet if you cant find one ill do it for you ill give you a link on the website, (VIRUS FREE download) you can check my website for a free key just in case anyone out there needs it, or those who have NOT GENUINE notification on desktop, thats annoying…heres my website for FREE KEY other free stuff are also posted please let me know of the feedback.

• metahawk

There may be an issue using the backup partion after a crash. My WinXP desktop PC came with no disk but had a ‘first aid’ function that was basically a backup partion. The idea was that in the event of a system failure, you could reinstall Windows and keep all your personal files. Nice idea but the version on the hard drive was service pack 1 and auto update had upgraded me to service pack 3. After a crash I tried the ‘first aid’ option only to be told that the O/S was incompatible with the current O/S and the only option was to reformat and reinstal the service pack 1 O/S and therefore lose all my data. This was XP though…

Hello Lewis,

If Sony didn’t send you a re-installation disk, they will often include a separate partition on your hard drive that includes the files needed to restore your laptop to its factory settings. However, you may be able to contact Sony Support and ask them to ship you a back-up DVD. I have never purchased a laptop from Sony, but I have purchased several with Dell, and they are quick about sending the disks free of charge.

Hey Lewis

I have a Sony Laptop as well. Mine came with a Windows setup/recovery program (accessible from My Computer). About a year ago I was able to reinstall my OS by going to the setup file and running it.

• Lewis

What is OEM?
    I bought my laptop from a Sony centre with win7 pre-installed, I don’t know if I have a backup partition but il check now

• Sealteam5_0

When you buy Gate’sWare, You pay for the product key, the software still belongs to Bill, you will be hard pressed to find the right OEM version, you may find one through “OTHER” site’s, but run the risk of “Infection”, which means at the very least you would have to reformat your drive. If your LT still has a COA sticker, MS may replace it for free + shipping, if not, buy the software.

if you have a legal serial number for your Windows 7 Home edition, then it probably doesn’t matter how you obtained the installation file.

However, I’m guessing you have a OEM version of Windows installed on your laptop and I’m not sure any installer will accept the OEM serial number. Hopefully someone with better knowledge can comment!

On the other hand, laptops normally come with a restore partition, that allows you to re-install your operating system. Did you check whether this is the case for your laptop? Maybe you don’t need to backup the operating system or get the installation file.

What software do you want to use to backup your operating system?