What’s the legality of giving away software downloaded online?

Ibrahim Nadir September 8, 2012

For instance, if I download software from MakeUseOf after earning points, can I run a contest to give it away via my website as a giveaway? Also, is it legal to run a contest on something if someone else shared that stuff for free with me, but the stuff isn’t free from the publisher or owner? Can I run a contest using software that is free, but people might have a hard time finding?

1. Nicky Angel

So long as you don't give it to multiple users, I think its legal

Regarding giving software that is free and people are having hard time to find it,you can provide them link for it where the file is hosted.

3. Erlis Dhima

It doesn't matter who will use that copy, but it matter the license!
    So, you can give it to anyone, but the license is valid for only one pc...
    Whats not valid is the hacked software...
    So, don't worry!

4. venkatp16

i think no... Since the license is registered on your name, i think it will be illegal

• Rama moorthy

but the most software on MUO is giving only KEY .. only for some software they are giving us a link..

5. Ibrahim Nadir

And what if i get say a book, available online to people but they somehow don't know how to get it and i start a contest on that?

6. Usman Mubashir

Since you EARNED it here at MUO (with points of course) you can give it away to anyone you like as long as it is used in conformity with the licence of the software concerned. i.e you do not hack it to work for multiple people.

7. Nanang Sugiarto

I think its legally to give a software away to someone while you get it free as long as you have not use it installed on your pc. And, before you give it away, save the software and the serial number (activation key) you don't want someone got angry to you when installing software with used serial.

8. Vipul Jain

Since you are giving away your copy in a contest, it is absolutely legal.
    But if you are giving away copies of your disc, then that is illegal. In the first case, it's just like you purchased a software and are selling it on eBay or holding a contest for it. This is fine.
    But if you purchase a software, use & install it, then make copies and distribute as contest prizes, that will be illegal.