How can I leave notes in directories or folders in Windows 7?

Bill Tarkington March 5, 2011

PC Magazine once produced a free software they called ‘Explorer Notes‘, which permitted the user to annotate (type in) notes, remarks, reminders, almost anything textual in nature. One could recall this text at will. I used it to make note of things I likely would not remember next time I opened that particular Directory or Folder.

I found it most useful, but it no longer works once I upgraded to Windows 7. Ever since I have been looking for a similar piece of software free or otherwise to do the same thing. But no luck, perhaps because I do not know how to properly describe or categorize it. My head tells me, that surely there is something out there that will do what I want, but my searches have produced nothing close far.

So, can anyone point me to software that will do the same thing more or less? Tried to get PC Magazine to update and reissue it, but no luck.

Hi

UserInfoTip v2.3
    http://www.akslab.com/index.htm

or
    you Can Add A Detailed Explanation About The folder's Contents To The
    pop-up By Creating A Desktop.ini File. In Order For This Technique To Work,
    you Have To Assign An Icon To The folder. Here's How:

1. Right-click The folder And Select Properties.
    2. From The Properties Dialog Box, Select The customize Tab And Then
    click The Change Icon Button.
    3. In The Change Icon Dialog Box, Select An Icon From The Selections
    and Click Ok.
    4. Click Ok To Close The Properties Dialog Box.
    5. Open The folder, Locate The Desktop.ini File, And Double-click It.
    6. Add Infotip= To The End Of The Desktop.ini File.
    7. Type Your Detailed description Immediately After The = Sign.
    8. Go To File | Save And Close Notepad.

you'll See Your Detailed pop-up description The Next Time You Mouse Over
    that folder. Not sure if works above windows xp?

2. Bill Tarkington

1st File descriptor is similar to what I am looking for and may end up being the only solution I like, but am always open to more suggestions.

Bill,

was 1st File Descriptor the solution you were looking for? Please let us know whether the tool works for you or whether you would like to hear more suggestions. Thank you!

Hi

Try 1st File Descriptor
    http://www.greenparrots.com/afd.html

1st File Descriptor helps you view and keep descriptions of files, folders, ZIP and RAR archives, and MP3 files with easy access from Explorer.
    [Description dialog, click to enlarge] Add and retrieve descriptions with ease

Bill,

I don't know of a similar software, but there are workarounds. You could leave a text file in each directory and add your notes there. If you want to annotate single files, why not leave a comment in the file properties? Just an idea.