Where can I learn about how to hook up an external hard drive to an LCD monitor?

MB January 10, 2011

I’m planning on hooking external hard drive to LCD monitor to use it as video station for watching movie only. What is a good website to read about this kind of projects.

Hi
    Possible you can play via a dvd player that has a usb port..but you have to format it to Hard drive as FAT32

rules
    1.the drive must be formatted FAT32 (like thumbdrives)
    2.keep the file names short
    3.keep the directory structure simple and as flat as possible
    4.Purchase a DVD player that can handle downloaded files. LG and Phillips are two popular makers of these players

best will be simply connect the drive to your computer like you normally do and connect your TV to your computer as normal, then begin playing the movie. For desktop PCs, obtain a video card with video out, such as S-Video, and connect it to the TV. ATI and several other companies make these video cards. Most modern TVs have S-Video input. Most modern laptops also have S-Video out. Don't forget to connect the audio as well.

• MB

Thanks, the only reason I wanted to use monitor instead of tv is because they cost less and I'm not looking for bigger than 30' inches screen...Thanks again

I have a USB port on my home theater system and it only works with Flash drives. I tried connecting the external HDD couple of time but no luck. I will go through above rules once again and give it a try.

Hi MB, I'm afraid you can't connect an external hard drive to an LCD monitor, you need some kind of graphics interface (ie, a computer) in order to read the files and display them. A Hard Drive is only use store the data, and cannot generally perform any kind of processing on the files. You can get a special kind of hard drive that plugs into your network and allows you network access to the files, but even those require a computer or television capable of reading them, or a media acccess device such as an xbox.

• MB

Got it, thanks James.