How can I learn a few things so I can earn some money on oDesk?

Muhammad September 7, 2012

Ok, the thing is I have made a bluff… a big one. I joined oDesk to earn few bucks, and I have selected many categories like data entry, writing, voice over and customer services. now the thing is I can write, but other things? Well you can guess.

Anyway… you guys provide the best resources and site reviews on almost anything, so could you please supply me with a few sites on learning Excel, Word, PowerPoint and customer services? I would be really grateful!

1. Paul Pruitt

I agree. I advertised a bunch of things on fiverr.com. I couldn't deliver on my first client and my rating tanked. No one wants to hire me now with a 0% rating.

It is definitely wise to be able to do exactly what you offer otherwise you will quickly find yourself out in the desert like me. I can do lots of things, but not many as a "past master". I should have known better. Time to make a new account :-(.

• Paul Pruitt

By the way there are other places besides oDesk of course like freelance.com. I'm sure their are writer-centric markets too aren't there?

Quite frankly you should never really advertise skills or knowledge you don't have, be it on oDesk or in real life.

You may miss out a few opportunities which were looking for more skills than you have but you will end up getting jobs you get done with satisfaction.

I occasionally get applications from young people (16-20) who list all kind of skills that may be of use for the job and they may know or have done a thing or two about. However, just the combination of them and the persons age usually tells me what to expect (or better not).

For example I have advanced certificates for Word, Excel and PowerPoint but I would never list them because executing those things in a test and actually knowing them are different things.

• faisal khan

i really agree with you on that mike, i do know basic ms office, but my actual field is computer engineering and programming. i am good at c++ and java then other things but when i see your (i mean americans/britain) code, it's different. why is that?

You can learn much about Office mostly (2007 to 2010) in the links below -

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/microsoft-office/

Makeuseof guide for office 2010 -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-microsoft-office-2010-ultimate-tips-tricks/

4. Amit Sinha

odesk help section covered all spheres of your career as a freelancer like how to right a cover letter and how to get more and more job.
    you can use http://www.free-training-tutorial.com/ portal to learn more but truth is that no free portal offering professional courses.
    when you finished then you should try another portal like elance.com

As someone who HIRES people from odesk, I find that behaviour to be quite deplorable. You should not be applying to jobs you are incapable of doing, and I strongly suggest you remove your account now before dissatisfying a client with bad work - you will end up with bad ratings and unable to get work anyway. It is precisely this kind of action that gets outsourcing a bad name.

Remove any skills you're not capable of and add a portfolio - a real portfolio - of your "writing" skills. If you're good enough, you will get work.

6. faisal khan

See? i told you, you guys are the best :P