Where can I learn more about bit rate and sample rate for converting video and music files?

Mudge April 30, 2010

Where can I learn what bit rate & sample rate means and when/how to change these settings to improve quality when converting video and music files?

1. Saikat Basu

We have some basic articles on the kind of information you are looking for. Here are the links:

What Is MP3 Format & What Is Its Origins?
    Digital Video Formats and Video Conversion Explained
    Audio File Formats Explained in Simple Terms
    There are also resources like - About.com's Learn To Edit Audio Like A Radio Pro

• Mudge

Dear Saikat:

Thank you for your time to respond; I'm a senior-aged, first-time PC user/owner of only 4 yrs. & God-sent MakeUseOf (discovered only appx. 2-3 months ago) is the best site for a 'newbie' to have. I've gathered so much useful info I'm backlogged in reading it all. Thanks to everyone who put so much work in keeping MUO up & running. (I guess what I need to do is learn how to word searches better because I couldn't find the offerings you've made--of which I've read all.)

Mudge
      ". . .bit rate & sample rate. . ." question

• Saikat Basu

Hi Mudge,

It really feels great to know that our site is helping you out so much. It is always a deliberate effort on our part to make technology seem less scary to everyday users. Searching MUO is very easy actually. Just use the search box at top.