What’s the best large-scale document management system with tagging?

Jayson Loggenberg October 25, 2012

Hi there.
I am looking for a document management program that can work with over 30 000 Microsoft Office documents.

Looking for something that can help clear the mess of all these files. Needs to have a tagging system.

Looking for some help on this topic from anyone who has dealt with this quantity before.

Not just looking for free software, if the program is a good solution for the problems then obviously money will be spent.

This has to be able to run in a windows based network setup, with Active Directory. There is availability for PHP servers should a good solution require that. Basically, there is no limit on what to suggest…

1. Chetan Sood
    • Ahmed Khalil

this can be good solution, too

2. Scott Pickett

One that I have used and think is pretty powerful and easy to use is called Worldox. Now Worldox was created for lawyers and law firms. That is the back bone of their business but it is so customizable that it could be used for a different company model. It runs on Win servers just fine and has an indexing piece that will try to make all your old documents searchable. New documents will be indexed as they are saved. It allows for document versions and tracks who changed the documents. So all the bread crumb pieces are there too. There are some new web based features in the newest version that I haven't played with too much but it might be worth a look. Every document when saved will pop a windows asking for metadata like who wrote the document, who has permissions to view, etc etc. Those are customizable too. It has built in hooks for MS Office so whenever you save or close it pops the Worldox window.

One other I have seen is called NetDocs. This is web based where the documents get stored on the NetDocs servers but makes working from home really easy. Again this was built with the legal system in mind but works great. Might not be great if you have an internet connection with a really slow upload speed.

3. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Take a look at Tabbles. If that doesn't sound suitable for your needs, you might want to take a look at http://www.nemo-docs.com/ or Wonderfox Document Manager.

Or you might try full-scale document manager like Qiqqa or Zotero, but they mostly deals with research papers.

4. Jan Fritsch

I've only looked into fully blown DAM systems. The two that seemed very promising were Cumulus from Canto and the system from Celum.

Both are priced for business users so I'm not sure it's suitable for you.

6. Abhinav Dumbre