How large of an install size should I choose for Ubuntu?

shaurya gupta September 8, 2012

I got the Wubi installer from the Ubuntu iso. I want to install Ubuntu on a separate partition without having any connection with Windows 7. When i tried to install, it asks for the installation size. Should I choose 30GB? I have a 1TB hard drive.

1. Douglas Mutay

30Gb is still too much for Ubuntu and all its probable app. I will suggest to give it at least 20Gb and use the rest for your storage. There will still be enough place on the system partition for your apps no matter how big they are.

2. Jacob

If you have a 1 TB drive then what is the fuss about? It depends on your needs.I think 20-25 gigs is more than enough.

3. Noah Brisson

Like most of the comments have said it depends on what you want to do with it. But since you have a 1TB hard drive. I would use something bigger than 30GB just because it wont effect you unless you have HUGE amounts of data on your Windows 7

4. shaurya gupta

i will choose 30 gb.

5. Luka Prebil

depends on what you will use it for, how much etc. i have my entire kubuntu on a 16GB flash drive since i use it for programming and i save everything online, but if you wish to have it all on your PC and space isnt an issue, id go with 100GB

Will depend on the purpose and number of applications you will install on Ubuntu and also those application sizes. Also your data storage size. For me, 30 GB is more than enough for my Ubuntu installation.

7. Jhon H. Caicedo

The final size depends on what do you want to do. In my case I use 20-30Gb for my install partition and have another separate partition of 100Gb for my /home where all my data is stored.