Why does my laptop not see my wireless card?

Malik April 6, 2010

How can I get my HP Pavilion dv2000 series laptop to see my wireless card again? Running Windows Vista home premium.

Just found your helpful discussion. Hope someone can help me.

Desktop computer: eMachines EL-1300G-02w.

Wireless network adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180PCe.

This partnership worked flawlessly with Windows Vista Basic, and with all of my experiments with Linux distros Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and openSuSE.

To prepare it for donation (probably to a family member), I installed a new copy of Windows Vista Home Premium which I had owned for a while and never had reason to install (Windows 7 is on order from a trusted distributor).

Everything went just fine with installation, except that the machine now does not recognize the Rosewill wireless network card. At all. Neither Vista Home Premium nor the Rosewill driver software can detect that the card is installed.

Because all other devices on the network (three or four) still connect and work flawlessly, and because the service of the computer and card have always been just perfect, I must conclude that the disconnect lies with Vista Home Premium.

Sorry, this is too wordy already. Has anyone else had this problem? If it helps, no, I haven't yet registered online (obviously), and the installers for SP1 and SP2 wait patiently on the desktop, but I think I need connectivity first.

1. http://www.rosewill.com/products/1698/ProductDetail_Download.htm

2. miguel

hp pavilon 9000 doesn't recognize broadcom wireless network adapter

The card no longer appears in the device manager. Vista came on the laptop. The exact model is dv2415nr.................just found out searching google that this model is had a problem with the netcard................need to find out if they will repair or if there is a fix!!!!

Malik,

were you able to get the card fixed or replaced? Please let us know how you solved your issue in case you did. Thank you! :)

Actually, Acer had a recall on that particular laptop/series. For some reason its a flaw in that series and year and a few others.

4. Taty

Good advices above. Just uninstall it connect to the web via cable and re-install using Windows to find the drivers for you.

• goggin

None of this works for me.. same problem with Presario V6420US. it works sometimes but only because it decides to.. I have done everything imaginable short of using it as a boat anchor.

Hello, have you checked if there is any problems in device manager?  Open device manager and see if there is any questions marks/warnings next to wireless card.  To do so, here are the steps:

-- click on start
        -- right click on computer icon
        -- select manage
        -- enter password if needed
        -- click on device manager
        -- scroll down until you find network adapters
        -- click on + sign to expand
        -- is there any warning/exclamation/question mark next to wireless card?  Does the card show at all?
        -- highlight and right click on wireless card and select update driver
        -- if there is a driver update, make sure to update it.
        -- if there is no driver update, try right click on entry again and then select uninstall driver
        -- restart computer

Most times vista and windows 7 will install a generic driver on restart.  Once the driver is installed on restart, try your wireless.  Is it working?  If it is give it a try to see if it stays working.

If for some reason, it doesn't work, you could try updating your BIOS.  To do this, you will have to visit the manufacturer'es card and download the most recent BIOS version for your model and operating system available.  You could try the following steps to find the drivers for your model and operating system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&lang=&docname=c00042629&product=3439727#N211

What antivirus/firewall do you have installed?  Sometimes this can cause this problem.

Have you made sure the drivers are installed, or any necessary software. Have you made sure you turn the Wireless on with a switch or a hotkey button such as FN+ an F key?

Malik,

what wireless card are we talking about?
    The HP Pavilion dv2000 has an integrated wireless network card. Does it no longer appear in the device manager? Or is it installed, but doesn't see the wireless signal from your router and hence unable to connect?

I assume recognition of the wireless card worked previously. Did you change anything on your laptop that may have caused the issue?

This laptop model was initially released in 2006. Did you install Vista on it or did you buy it with Vista?

If the device shows in your device manager, you may have to update your drivers. Please pick your exact laptop model from this page and download the Vista drivers.

That's all I can think of right now.

The more details you can give us, the better we can help!