What is the best laptop for a webdesign business relying on Photoshop?

Michelle April 22, 2011

I am starting up a webdesign biz, and I need a laptop. It needs to be able to run Photoshop efficiently, and I’d prefer if it came with Photoshop Pro preinstalled (I will be upgrading from Elements). Not too expensive, but big enough to see what I’m doing. Any suggestions?

1. Steve Campbell

I realize you said not too expensive, but whenever I hear photoshop or design I think Mac. Having recently purchased a MacBook Pro myself, I really like the way everything looks on it and how fluid image and video editing seem to be.

Sony VAIO FW11S
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VAIO-FW11S-Blu-ray-technology/dp/B001CSMI22
    Multimedia creation with Adobe Photoshop Elements, VAIO Movie Story, VAIO Media Plus and VAIO Music Box

HP Envy 14 beats Edition
    http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=XE665EA&experience=direct&aoid=35252

Sager NP8120

ASUS G73JH-A1

3. anonnimoose

any gaming laptop if you ask me they are the best

4. Roy

I don't think you're going to find a laptop (especially one that meets the "not too expensive" requirement) with a full version of Photoshop pre-installed. What you need is a machine that will run Photoshop well, meaning a strong processor and a good amount of RAM. A decent graphics chip wouldn't hurt either.

I do web design and of course use Photoshop for it frequently. I've used it on a Dell laptop with no problems. That machine is a few years old now, so I usually do my Photoshop work on my Core i5 desktop these days. However, the laptop still does the job if I need it to. The same would be true of any laptop from a reputable manufacturer, but personally I've had more than one excellent experience with Dell laptops.

The important specs I would suggest, regardless of the manufacturer, would be:
    - Processor: Core i5 or Core i7 if you can find one that matches your budget; Core i3 will handle Photoshop just fine as well, and you can often find a Core i3 laptop for around $500
    - RAM: 6 GB or more
    - Graphics: anything from NVidia or AMD will outperform the basic onboard Intel graphics. This will probably up the price a little bit, and if you need to keep the cost lower then even onboard Intel graphics will do the job
    - Screen size: 15.4" works well enough for web-size graphics, and is usually ideal for staying within a budget