What can I do with an old laptop that won’t turn on anymore?

Ricardo Cao September 17, 2012

I have an old laptop just sitting at home and I have been wanting to get ideas for projects I can do with the spare parts that I have. Almost every single part still works: screen, ram, hard drive, fan, etc… The full laptop is not functional anymore as the motherboard is dead but most of the spare parts work.

I am looking for suggestions about projects that I could do with the spare parts. Preferably projects that are cheap!

Thank you.

1. Abba Jee

either you can pay some money to repair it from market or sell its parts ( something is better than nothing )

On many laptop motherboards there is a surface mount fuse labelled F1. Short across it with a fine piece of wire and the laptop may come back from the dead.

3. Declan Lopez

you could make an external hard drive, you can easily find cheap enclosures online

4. vasu gupta

reconstruct it or just sell it for a few bucks

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

a good advice: if you r interested in computers, just try to disassemble the Laptop. find a compatible main-board for a cheap price nd fix it. you'll get to know the hard ware. you'll exp disassembling. then finally, sell the working laptop nd make some money! win win. :D

6. Alexis Akridge
  7. Angel Vinod

Well, what I'd do is to get a cheap motherboard, and assemble this laptop such that it looks like a helpful Item on my study desk, Seperate screen from the keyboard and it'll look cool.

8. EL

Take it apart, and then try putting it back together!

9. Vishwang Bhaskar

reuse and recycle the parts u can ...... liked the fish tank idea :)

10. Brian

I had the same issue, I sold the parts on ebay.

11. Bruce Thomas

Old laptops are good for putting in the bottom of fish tanks and letting the inhabitants have a go.

You can actually build your own Tablet out of it. I did watch a video in youtube of a chinese person doing the same. Check this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbfMHAdHtz0

13. Bernardo Delapasion

You could always use the spare parts whenever your new laptop has a problem, if you have one and it's compatible Not much of an answer but hey at least you've got some ideas *_~

14. Eserpess der
  15. Dylan Brendan
  16. Abaquin Dharence

the best thing you can do is to go to the nearest, repair shop on your place!

17. Elrick Browne

buy a hard drive enclosure and put the laptop hard drive in and make a external drive for backup! (sata or pata) according to you connection and the hard drive

18. Erlis Dhima

I don't know how they can be used, since I don't know their size, type etc..
    For example, if you have a RAM = 1Gb, you can build a 'so, so' computer..
    If you have a RAM = 2Gb, then you can build a good computer! But it's not only the RAM that is important!
    So, in other words, if you give me the full specifications for your laptop parts, maybe I can give you a better suggestion..

19. ro ot

I fix my old laptop with ubuntu on usb stick. that works fine. and easy to run

20. mohit kumar

Use them in desktop!

Five Things to Do with Your Old Laptop -

10 Brilliant Ways To Reuse Your Old Laptop -

22. Prathamesh Saygaonkar

Well,Thats a interesting case. You Can Always Reconstruct the laptop using various guides available online..Now a days motherboards are cheap too If You have a website you could always do away with an extra server. Also You Could Boost the speed of the computer you are using by parallely dividing the work of your computer. also you could sell the spare parts to a laptop repairing agency and make some extra bucks.. Also you could give it to a local school for teaching students computer science.