What can I do with an old laptop that won’t turn on anymore?
Question by Ricardo Cao /

I have an old laptop just sitting at home and I have been wanting to get ideas for projects I can do with the spare parts that I have. Almost every single part still works: screen, ram, hard drive, fan, etc… The full laptop is not functional anymore as the motherboard is dead but most of the spare parts work.

I am looking for suggestions about projects that I could do with the spare parts. Preferably projects that are cheap!

Thank you.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• Abba Jee

either you can pay some money to repair it from market or sell its parts ( something is better than nothing )

• Jim Chambers

On many laptop motherboards there is a surface mount fuse labelled F1. Short across it with a fine piece of wire and the laptop may come back from the dead.

• Declan Lopez

you could make an external hard drive, you can easily find cheap enclosures online

• vasu gupta

reconstruct it or just sell it for a few bucks

• Dimal Chandrasiri

a good advice: if you r interested in computers, just try to disassemble the Laptop. find a compatible main-board for a cheap price nd fix it. you’ll get to know the hard ware. you’ll exp disassembling. then finally, sell the working laptop nd make some money! win win. :D

• Angel Vinod

Well, what I’d do is to get a cheap motherboard, and assemble this laptop such that it looks like a helpful Item on my study desk, Seperate screen from the keyboard and it’ll look cool.

• EL

Take it apart, and then try putting it back together!

• Vishwang Bhaskar

reuse and recycle the parts u can …… liked the fish tank idea :)

• Brian

I had the same issue, I sold the parts on ebay.