Why does my laptop not switch on when I press the power button?

Adjei Kofi August 14, 2012

My laptop does not switch on anymore when I press the power button.Initially, it would freeze when it has been on for about just ten minutes, but now it doesn’t even power on.

It is a Toshiba Satellite (Model L655D) with an AMD processor and an ATI graphics card.

1. Alan Meunier

Unplug the laptop from the power source, remove the battery for about 5 minutes. Put it all back together and try the power button once again.

2. Dan Valentin

I did have that same problem.Before I go to unclose all the notebook parts, I thought I have to remove the memory modules first.And it worked.Try it first, after you pass on to the rest of the parts.

3. Quebec Twosix

Hi,
    I recently experienced this issue with a netbook, where it would not power-on with or without external power.

Suggestion ... remove the battery & power the laptop up with only external power connected. Once you have signed-in shut the laptop down and replace the battery & power-up again ..

Hopefully this helps, but if you still experience issues please give a shout

Arthur

4. Snorri

I am far from an expert but this used to happen to an old computer I had. My solution was to unplug it, take the battery out and holding the power button for a few second then reassembling it and try turning it on again.

5. Cubonix

Check for any problem in smps or bios

6. Igor Rizvi?

Actually it could be anything... from a broken power button, passing thru a worn-off battery, ending on a faulty motherboard.

First check if you have ANY indicator light lit when you plug the AC adapter in. If a light turns on, then the AC adapter is delivering correct power to the system, but there is other cause that doesn't allow to power on properly.

Try to power it on using only the AC adapter, removing the battery. Also don't rule out that the AC adapter itself could be failing... especially if it has frayed wires, has melted plastic, etc. In that case it is only that the battery is all drained. If someone has a laptop like yours, check on the label if the AC adapter delivers the same Watts, the same volts and the same Amperes. (say, your AC adapter coud be a 19.5V, 80W, xA) and try that adapter on your computer, with and without the battery.

It doesn't look like AC adapter/battery issue?

If you can and know how to open your computer... remove the keyboard, remove the memory modules, remove the optical drive and the hard drive, remove the wireless card and bluetooth card if it has it... for sure you can find manuals on how to do that over the internet. Close the computer and try to power it on. If it turns on, no matter how many error messages you can get, now you know that any of these components you removed could be guilty. So.. add them one by one... and try to power on the computer after adding each. if it suddenly doesn't turn on after adding one piece of hardware... Voila! There you have the guilty one.

• Adjei Kofi

The lights show when I plug it into an ac power supply. It even charges the battery but won't power on.

• Igor Rizvi?

If the power LED lights up it indicates that the laptop is getting power from the AC adapter. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the adapter but just in case test it with a voltmeter to make sure the output voltage is correct.
        Also try this. Unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery and wait for 1-2 minutes. After that plug the AC adapter ans try starting the laptop again. Sometimes this trick helps.
        It also could be a memory related problem. Try reseating the memory module, just remove it from the slot on the motherboard and install it back. Try installing the memory module into the other slot (if it’s available). If you have two memory modules installed, try removing them one by one and start the laptop just with one memory module installed.
        If the laptop starts fine with one memory module in both slots, but will not start with the second memory module in both slots, the second memory module is faulty. Replace the module.
        If the laptop starts fine with both memory modules when they are installed in the slot A, but will not start with both memory modules installed in the slot B, the slot B is faulty and you’ll have to replace the motherboard or use only one memory slot.

7. ferdinan Sitohang

You need to disassemble your laptop, clean your fan, keyboard and motherboard inside, then re-assemble. Try to turn on your laptop and see if it is working

8. StefanyBaez

Your battery might be dead, but if the computer used to freeze after 10 mins of it being on then the problem could be a fan. If the fan doesn't turn on, the laptop won't turn on either. I recommend you take it to a repair shop or, if you want to try yourself, check if the fan moves or if any noise is made when you push the power button. Try it with the battery out and the laptop plugged into the wall charger

9. Justin Fortin

Check and make sure the battery still works. Try powering it up with just the AC plugged in.

• Adjei Kofi

I tried with the ac alone but still not powering on.

10. GrrGrrr

questions
    is it running on battery/power. run on power
    does it show any lights on when u power it ON
    do u hear any sound/noise of HDD/fan when u power ON

if none above, check with a technician

• Adjei Kofi

Maybe I should check with a technician.

Try removing the battery and powering up the laptop with AC supply.If it still persists,then take it to service centre if it's under warranty and get it replaced.If it doesn't,then you need to get new batteries.

• Adjei Kofi

I'm sure it'll have to do with a faulty motherboard. The battery is faulty but it charges though.

12. Erlis Dhima

You should go to a computer repair shop!
    It might have various problems.. It might have problems getting the electricity, or even worse one, problems with your motherboard! So, I think, it's recommended to check you laptop at a repair shop...

• Adjei Kofi

Yeah I'll do that