Why does my laptop shutdown when I type anything?

Jean August 14, 2010

I just replaced my hard drive, but my Dell Inspiron1525 will just shut itself down every time I try typing passwords, emails, etc. Was told by Dell I need a new motherboard. Laptop is not even 2 yrs old. Seems to get hot and then trouble starts.

Do I just need to replace the fan? I am an retired, self taught PC user and already spent 5 hours on the phone with Dell trying to get this laptop up and running with no glitches. I give up!

1. John McClain

Make sure your laptop is free of dust, nothing is blocking the fans or vents, and that it's sitting on a flat, hard surface.Other than that, I'd have to agree with Smokey99. Just Googling that model Dell reveals a flurry of negative reviews and irate customers who are having similar problems.

I'm guessing it's not under warranty then?

You could also be getting the blue screen of death?

It's almost certainly the motherboard. Dell is notorious for putting bad or cheap capacitors on its motherboards. It's not uncommon for a Dell motherboard to need replacement after two years, especially if it is used often.

Sorry.