Why does my laptop screen stay black?

Alex Chavez December 17, 2011

When I try and turn on my laptop, the screen stays black, but the lights are on. Help please! It was working fine last night then in the morning I try and turn it on and the screen stays black but it shows the lights indicating that it is on. I tried taking out the battery and charger and holding it down to let excess energy out, but that does not work.

1. Amritpal

i know im a little late but try: Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds.

2. Bigg Clay

I can relate exactly to your story...

unplug your charger
    Take out the battery
    Hold power button for 60 sec.
    put battery back in.Plug in charger (if you want.)
    Turn it on and Wah-La!

*If it doesn't work the 1st time. They say try it 2 more times, 3rd time is the charm.

• Brandon

Thanks bigg clay it worked perfectly!!!

• Teena

It worked!!! Thanks so much!!!!

• David

Thanks iwth the help so far.
      Though i have a problem because i bought the asus zenbook ux31E and it have no batteri u can take out. So do u have any "trick" for this problem?

• Poop

I tried this but still nothing

3. Cameron Carter96

I have the same problem, but my screen went black while i was using it, and when i cut it back on, the lights showing its turned on, and when its being charged, but my screen is still black.

Hello, what is the operating system?  What is the brand name and model?  Have you check if there is any media in dvd/cd drive?, or if there is any USB device attached to it?  Does the activity light for the hard drive stays on?  Is there any blinking cursor in the screen?  Usually doing what you already have done works.  Unplugging power cable, taking battery off, holding power button for a few seconds to drain energy and then plugging cable back in fixes this problem.  Have you tried starting in safemode?  Have you tried connecting laptop to a monitor or TV?   

Perhaps you need a new video driver, perhaps you need to reset the CMOS battery, check the manual corresponding your laptop.

other reasons, Brightness turned way down, Backlight failed, Video card problem, mode switched to external monitor?