How can I use my laptop screen as a monitor for my desktop PC?
Question by sumit kumar wanger /

I have a working laptop screen. Can I use it as monitor for a desktop PC?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Awesome Gadgets
Awesome Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion

• Weaponspath

Download relay bundle. Aurora doesn't launch with vidalia. Download browser bundle. Still nothing. How can I manually launch or reset to launch at start?

• eeBugz

Maxivista if laptop is functioning.

• Jack Cola

Not the best alternative, but maybe you could use Remote Desktop Connection programs. For example, try Windows Remote Desktop Connection, Team Viewer, or Tight VNC. Not only do you have to be physically connected to your desktop, you can be across the other side of the world if you want.

But both devices have to be on for this to work.

I've tried looking for a solution, but I couldn't find one apart from the above.

• Andrew Goins

Alright, Here is the deal. Based on what you said, you only have a working LCD laptop screen and not a fully functional laptop right? While yes, you can make it into a monitor, you would have to go pay approximately $200 for a part to translate the signal from your desktop int a readable format for the LCD. So honestly, its much easier to just go buy a TV. 

Resources : experience!

• Jonas Platte

If you mean that you want your laptop to act as monitor for your PC: this is possible but only if your laptop has an VGA / HMDI / ... input. Else you would have to remove it from the laptop. 

Hello, Does the laptop work too or just the lcd monitor?  There have been projects like this online but I personally do not know if they work or not.    

Laptop screens use different adapters than regular monitors do.  You never know, maybe there is converters in the market now.  Here is a link showcasing converters of different kinds and purposes....Keep in mind, they can be really expensive.

After looking a little bit, I found this site that makes for an interesting reading:

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2008/03/31/using-spare-laptop-lcd-as-a-vga-monitor/

Keep in mind, that if you go ahead with your project and buy the parts needed, you might end up paying same money or more than a new lcd.  Another link that could provide answers for you and provide you with what you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Controller-kit-17-19-inch-SXGA-TFT-LCD-screen-panel-/280756940686?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item415e6aef8e