How can I use my laptop screen with my desktop computer?
Question by Amit Kashyap /

My monitor has become defunct and I have some important data on my Windows desktop which I need. Can I connect the VGA cable from the desktop to my Windows laptop and view the desktop computer? Please guide.

• gaurav

For WIN 7

if want to see your leptop desktop data, open your leptop from bottam get sata harddrive outside use this harddisk in your desktop instead of desktop hardisk and boot disk with leptop HDD it will work if win 7 is in leptop’s hdd and if xp then am not sure that u ca boot

for win xp
    secont mathed is add leptops harddisk in desktop open C: or D: drive of leptop hdd and go this add- C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop or C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop

• Joshua11218

I’m aware this post is a bit old but you can try connecting it to your tv if it has a vga port. If it doesn’t have such,then i’m afraid theres not much help we can do

• Trinadraj Pvkm

trinad
    hai
    the monitor is down  right
    1.—–“if you are in lan” —and have a system next then connect the monitor
    2. login open remote desktop feature connect back to later system
    3.open remote desktop on the other system open your systems display
       and work on………

• Trinadraj Pvkm

TRINAD
    Hai I need help for small Idea I got
    can we  display the cell phones screen on desktop monitor?
    can we display the contents of desktop to a cell phone screen ?
    if possible can any on suggest me what is needed software /device
    u can mail me to 

• Perfezione Fetiocci

I also have the same problem.  I have a desktop that the pin to connect the monitor is damaged, and i want to use my laptop to access the memory on the desktop but I have NO WAY to use the desktop at all, so telling me to go to properties on the desktop has no value to me.  Isn’t there a way to put them on a network together or use the desktop as a giant external hard-drive WITHOUT haveing to access anything on the desktop, since I cant????

• Henrik Tham

remove the hard drive from the desktop and place it in a USB-cabinet?

• Trinadraj Pvkm

trinad
      hai
      the monitor is down  right
         and work on………

• Trinadraj Pvkm

trinad
      hai
      the monitor is down  right
         and work on………

HiDoes your laptop has a vga port? Watch thisHow to Use One Monitor With a Laptop & a Desktophttp://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4751762_use-one-monitor-laptop-desktop.htmlTo be able to use external monitor you have to click on alt and f5 ( fn+f4 apparently toggles between various combination of displays (external display, laptop screen and external, or laptop display).) it will automatically switch off your internal lcd and activate your external lcd.Connect the monitor, flat panel, or projector to the laptop’s 15-pin video connection on the back of the computer. Once connected, your laptop may automatically switch to the new external display or you may be required to press a sequence of keys in order to switch from the laptop to the external displayRight click an area of your desktop and select properties. Than, select the tab on the top of the window that says “settings”. After you do all that, you should see two boxes inside another box. The boxes should be labled “1 and 2″. If they are not, click on the option that says “identify”. After that, click on the box that has the 2 on it. There should be two unchecked boxes. One says :”Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor” the other one says :”use this device as the primary monitor”. Click on the box that says: “extend my windows desktop onto this monitor”. unless and until its completely damaged. what you need is a Video Switch , you can easily find them online VGA Video Switchhttp://www.smartvm.com/VGA-Video-Switch-C1335.htmhttp://www.kvmstuff.com/video-routing/video-switches.html

MaxiVista should be installed on both

• Janette

@ha14: I am sorry, I know you are trying to help, however, did you read Amit Kashyap’s question from beginning to end. She has NO desktop monitor. Therefore, telling her the same image replicated on both screens by default is meaningless because she already said she only has a laptop screen. Then you tell her ‘if the two PC’s are networked’ … she DOES NOT have two PCs, she already said she has a laptop and a desktop with NO monitor.

You continue the assumption she is in possession of two functioning monitors when you tell her ‘your laptop may automatically switch to the new external display or you may be required to press a sequence of keys in order to switch from the laptop to the external display’. She is going to become more confused than ever because she knows and she has said she only has a laptop monitor. Please, please read until you come to the small dot at the end of the sentence. In some instances, it is a question mark.

here is a similar thread from daniweb.com

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread14453.html

Hi

If your external display has a VGA input port, all you need to do is get a VGA cable & connect the two together. By default the same image will be replicated on both screens but you simply need to play around with the display options to set them up the way them to function.

Buy A KVM switch ( is short for Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch). Its function is to connect a keyboard, monitor or a mouse to more than one computer.

If the two PC’s are networked, you can use the MaxiVista software, which extends your primary PC screen onto one (or more) network available PCs.

• Amit Kashyap

i have disconnected the monitor and have vga cable. Is the port available in laptop thru which we connect projectors an input cum output port or is it simply output port? Since the desktop has turned headless it is difficult to control it. If i cannot control it then how will i get the software (Maxivista) on to it? Please suggest!!!!!