Why is my laptop screen covered with a white “film” all of a sudden?

Drsunil V August 28, 2014

I have been using my laptop and in the middle of a session the screen became ‘covered’ with shady white color over the full screen so the laptop became unusable. I’ve tried rebooting and shutting down repeatedly but this has not helped.

It’s a Compaq Presario CQ42 laptop running Windows 7.

Try booting from another media, e.g. the Windows installation CD, a Linux Live system or something like that. If the issue persists for these too I would say it's a hardware issue, something with the LCD.

If it's a full white white screen, not just a "fog" kind of white over the picture it may be the connection between the LCD and the mainboard.
    If it is a "fog" sort of overlay then it may be that parts of the screen were glued together and e.g. via heat, cold, mixture of both the adhesive stopped working.

Either one should be looked at by a professional.

• Drsunil V

Thank you. I showed to professional and was told that screen has to be put new. Please tell how to know screen size for Presario CQ42 laptop

• Jan F

The LCD panel should be the part number 592144-001
      The entire display assembly (if preferred) has different part numbers depending on the color.

You can look up the correct part numbers in the service manual
      http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623161.pdf

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell , how to know the screen part size , so that it can be bought by me , and not by service professional , as I may get it online at less price

connect it to external monitor to see if it displays correctly. if yes then the laptop LCD is damaged or a connection has come loose