Why does my laptop screen go black when I try to play games?
Question by Faizan Adeel /

I have Lenovo T61 with with the Nvidia Quadro 1400M graphics. The screen goes black when I try to play demanding 3D games, but it works when I exit out of them. Also, the games work if I play them on an external monitor connected to the laptop. What’s wrong?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Faizan Adeel

m playing LA noire n the screen hasnt gotten black yet.if its not heavy games then wat mite b the cause

I think your graphic card support DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 1.5 games so if you use higher DirectX games then this will be the cause of what you see. You can try to lower the resolution of the games?

if you have NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 then you have DirectX 9c, Shader 3.0

now regarding the screen issu maybe you have to tell the Bios which is your primary screen?

Sounds like your game(s) are set to a monitor refresh rate (Hz) higher than the laptop screen supports.

I guess the best option to go about is to connect the external monitor [which is working] and make sure the games are set to a low refreshrate e.g. 60Hz.

• Faizan Adeel

i play all my games at 60hz

Ok, that should be fine than.

Another suggestion I have is to make sure “Vsync” (vertical synchronization) if turned off/on for the problematic games – whichever is the state now.

Hello, what operating system are you using?  What happens when you play non-3D games?  If those games play ok and your screen does not go black, it could be because your laptop’s screen is not compatible with 3D.

This can also happen when your GPU overheats. You could try downloading GPU-Z and check the temperatures in your graphics card:

Connect your external monitor to laptop and start GPU-Z. Start playing game and check the temperatures of your graphics card. It temperature is high, you could try opening your laptop and make sure to clean cooling fan and vents.

• Faizan Adeel

it sometimes happen wen i m nt playing game..i have win 7 32 bit

Hello, can you give an example of when it happens and you are not playing games?  Try checking for problems using dxdiag command:

— click on start
      — type dxdiag in search box and press enter
      — In system tab, check the DirecX version shown
      — click on display tab
      — check that all features under directx are enabled
      — check under notes to see if any problem is found.  If there is, make sure to write error

You could also check your RAM with memtest86.