Is it okay to use my laptop in safe mode for an extended time?

Rob January 7, 2012

I am having problems with my laptop, so while trying to work it out I am using Safe Mode. Are there any real drawbacks to using it in safe mode for an extended period of time?

1. Rcmarston

Couldn't do "
    Go to start -> Search/Run and type "msconfig.exe".  as it froze every time. Gave up and restored it to factory settings. Thanks for all the help.

2. Rcmarston

Thanks, Will try tomorrow .

3. Rcmarston

Thanks for all the comments. One worry is that the security software seems to be off and I can't turn it on.

The problem is that the laptop freezes after about 10 minutes. I've not added any new hard/software recently. I've nother got much free memory on the harddrive , could this be the problem ?

• Jeff Fabish

Go to start -> Search/Run and type "msconfig.exe". When the configuration editor appears, go to "Startup" and disable any items that you do not need to start up with Windows. 

Next, uninstall any software/drivers that you have installed recently. To be safe, you should probably use one of our dedicated uninstallers.

Safe Mode disables most running processes and services. These services include the Windows Update....and also some soft that you installed will not work on safe, besides that the screen will not look optimized you can work on safe mode.

I guess it depends on what you use your system for.

Most notable Safe Mode uses the standard VGA mode which means anything relying on your graphics card features (having the driver installed) is probably not going to work.

Also various device drivers are not going to be loaded which may effect some wireless card or modem.

If you managed to work in safe mode until now I guess you are going to be fine. There are no real "drawbacks" or "long-term effects" in using it.

6. Chris Hoffman

I believe that safe mode doesn't use the full set of device drivers on your system, so some hardware might not work. It also disables autostart functionality, so some programs won't automatically start like normal.

Rob,

Yes, keep your system in Safe Mode is, heh, 'safe' and doesn't have any negative repercussions (other than the unpleasant GUI). Perhaps you could expand on why your laptop's not working and we could help you.

- Jeff

Hello, no I do not think or know of any problems caused by running computer in safemode for extended periods of time.  Obviously, safemode is there to troubleshoot/repair problems. If you explain more about issues with laptop, you might be able to help.