Why is the same laptop offered for different prices on different websites?

pratap May 19, 2010

I recently did a lot of searching for a laptop and I liked HP DV4 2160us. What I saw was different prices in different sites, ranging from $650-$820.

Do all of them have the same specifications? How can I be sure that I am not cheated? And can you give an unbiased review of this laptop?

Is there any way that I can be notified when someone answers my question?

1. Swilliam

Here is the article that you can read and improve your buying decisions..........try to use online shopping communities because there you can easily get latest product reviews and compare prices. Thanks
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-You-Make-the-Good-Buying-Decisions---Online-Shopping&id=4225949

2. pratap

does this laptop (dv4 2160us) have a bluetooth & LED and is it blu-ray upgradeable? if not, how much does the new specs would cost? What is your view about HP dm4t laptop with all the optional specs added? what is the difference between screen resolution of these two laptops?do other laptop brands have QUICKWEB (and of course quickmusic...etc) like that of HP?is there any other 14" laptop with the same specifications as these?

3. Bill

Any time you decide to purchase a laptop it is a big investment, so you want to make sure you are getting exactly what you are asking for. Many websites prices will fluctuate depending on the exact product they carry. Some websites buy in bulk so they are able to offer cheaper prices for electronics than other sites may be able to. A great website that I use for all my computer purchases is deals2buy.com. Everyday their electronic deals change and you can get cheap electronics by using their supplied promo codes, getting some high end laptops for almost 40% off the sticker price.

As far as your laptop goes, the exact specs you need/want depends on what you will be utilizing the laptop for. The HP DV4 2160us has great specs in my opinion. I think its nice you are looking towards the i5 processors as these are the mid-high end processors offered by intel. The triple channel memory is another plus in my book, especially considering it is expandable up to 8 GB which leaves room for future upgrades if needed. Another plus is the integration of a draft N wireless adapter which saves you the hassle of having to utilize a USB wireless adapter if you ever decide to move away from the traditional wireless G and go to the wireless N for speed reasons (I love my wireless N router). Only true downside that I see is it only utilizes a 14.1" screen. This isn't the end of the world by any means, but if you are like me I like to have at least the 15.6" screen, especially considering you can get 17" laptops now days.

In the end make sure you read other customers reviews, but in my opinion don't base your sole decision on others reviews. Everyone, especially with electronics, tends to have different outlooks on usability depending on their technical skills level. But obviously if you see 250 reviews for a product and no one is giving it a great rating you will know what to stay away from. Real quick, if you are looking at a laptop strictly for processing power, here is a great website that ranks every processor out and they change this daily based on their becnhmark test http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Hope all this helps!

One thing about shopping online for the physical products is paying attention to your geographical location. Because there's another hidden cost that not everybody is aware of: shipping. You might want to buy from one store which offer the lowest price, but if that store is located on the other continent, the shipping price might be more expensive than the items that you boutght. Always calculate the total amount of money that you have to pay (price+shipping).

That's why price comparison sites is useful. I advise you to do your search there. We have articles about this kind of sites:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-useful-comparison-sites/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/waitable-price-comparison-price-drop-notification-service/

Happy shopping!

As like shops, websites need to make money too. Some may be offering a discount, others need to increase the price to so they can survive.

It's just like shops, if you buy an item in one shop, you go to another shop and it would be completely different.

6. Steve Campbell

Websites are just like stores in that their prices aren't always in tune with one another. The specifications should be listed on the site itself and chances are they are the same. The difference in prices is what makes searching online a benefit to users because you can essentially find the best deal.From what I'm seeing it looks like a pretty good laptop. Processor speed and RAM are the two most important things, and fluctuations in specs like RAM and hard drive space are also things that could cause one to be priced higher than the other.

• jack

hmm...tx.can you compare this laptop with hp dv4 2140us? Which one is better?

• Steve Campbell

They are both so similar in specs I would honestly just go with the newer one. If there is a huge difference in money, however, going with the cheaper one would be the smart move.