Why does my laptop no longer boot?

Christine Wright December 3, 2014

My Acer laptop will not boot up. It keeps clicking on and going straight off again. This is continual. I’ve had the laptop for about 6 years and it is used every day.

1. NIk

See what happens when the battery is out

2. shahid ahnad

This problem come to RAM check to another rams

3. Devin Chandrapala

I had this very problem before and believe me, it was a pain. It happened on an Acer TravelMate 4230. For me, it would just turn on, show the Acer logo, freeze the loading bar, and start "clicking" 5-6 times. What I did was only a temporary fix. Remove the battery. Keep your ear on the laptop. Connect it to a power supply and turn it on. COUNT THE NUMBER OF CLICKS. If they are more than 5-6, pull the power cord out of the socket, plug it in again and turn on the laptop. Count the clicks again. Keep repeating this until you hear less than 5 or no clicks at all. Your laptop should boot.
    NOTE: This process will not bring immediate results. I had to sometimes do this for more than an hour. Just keep patient.
    The reason behind this is, I don't know.....But after I changed my Hard Drive and upgraded the OS (Vista>>Windows 7) this had not occurred since.
    I also suggest that once you manage to get the laptop on and running, it would be easy if you do not shut it down. Instead, put it to Hibernate or sleep....

4. Greg

I've experienced similar (possibly) problems in the past. See what happens when the battery is out and the power cord is plugged in. If nothing happens your battery is dead and not charging because the power cable is not making contact with the rest of the system, ie. a wire has come loose inside the computer.

5. Simon livings

Hi Christine,

Firstly lets check possible power issues.
    Unplug the power supply and then remove the battery. Now open up the laptop and depress the power button for 30 seconds(time it) this will discharge any residual power on the motherboard. now replace the battery and plug in the power lead.
    firstly does a power light on the laptop come on at all ? There should one for the battery.
    Next power up the laptop. Does it now start up?
    If it still repeats the non start up then try once more but leaving the battery out. Let us know how that goes and also a little more detail of exactly what happens and what if anything you see on the screen

6. julia

Sounds like the motherboard.

7. Sangeet Jain

Open the back panel, take out the ram. Clean up the golden part with an eraser. Fit the ram back in. You're good to go. It will boot up.

8. Robert

Not enough information to go on. What do you mean by clicking on? What is clicking? Power supply, Hard Drive? Can you describe the amount of time between pressing the power button the clicking noise and then the resulting shutdown?

"What's that Clickin' Noise? "- Henry Cho

9. Mark

I've had a bad memory module do that. If it does the same thing with the hard drive removed, try removing one memory module at a time and booting (if it only has one this could be an issue lol)

10. Anne C.

Had an HP Laptop that would power up (the lights would cycle on and then cycle off) but wouldn't boot up. Read online to change the coin cell battery inside - did that and put it back together. Whether it was the battery or just pulling it apart and then putting it back together, it fixed my problem and its worked since then. Before doing that I took it to a repair shop and they told me it was my motherboard and the laptop was toast. Sometimes they don't have all the answers either.

11. jose

this happened to me in the past, first it was a keyboard problem, had to remove it and connect a USB one, then it was the charger, went to buy an universal one and started working

12. dave t

if you are able to ,check out your keyboard. sometimes the keys may be sticking or broken, this has been an issue in the past for me on other computers, a good cleanup usually fixes this.

13. Justin Pot

Does anything on the screen show up at all? On an Acer you should at least see the BIOS, which has an Acer logo. Do you see that, and then an error? Or do you just see nothing?

If you don't see the BIOS, I don't think the problem is the hard drive – and you might be needing a new laptop.

14. Ted Letofsky

If the laptop CLICKS and goes straight off, then the issue is happening far before post.
    It's not a hard drive or optical drive issue.

Are you powering the laptop on with the power supply plugged into the wall and the laptop?
    Check the power supply, do you have a spare? Is there a fused connection inside the system?
    And, have you tried without the battery and with just the power supply, and have you tried with the battery and not plugged into a power supply?
    Checking those things may clarify the issue.

15. Ray Shimko

Yeah definitely a dead hard drive. You can try using a black widow drive to try and and mount it on another usable machine to try and recover the data but I wouldn't get your hopes us. Here is a link to the black widow drive now called blackx http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A4HAFS

16. Tyler Flaugher

The clicking would suggest a bad hard drive. And the fact it isn't even reaching the boot phase of a C:/ terminal-like screen, which isn't the OS, I'd say it's a drive failure. If only windows failed, it would still show a black screen with C:/.

17. PeterF

Hi.

Also as suggested above if its the hard drive try removing it and trying it in another laptop or PC and if it dosnt work there then replace it with a new one. You can also try another drive from a working laptop too to test in your laptop. Both will confirm its the drive

18. PeterF

You may try one last power drain procedure:

1. Remove the ram sticks (Clean with a soft lint free cloth while they are out)
    2. Remove the power cord and battery
    3. Hold the power button for 58 seconds
    4. Replace everything.

19. Tim

Replace the hard drive, clicking is almost always the hard drive; hopefully you have backups.

By chance a Aspire 8930G?

Had the same issue few months back (also rocking my Acer laptop since early 2009).
    In the end it was the GPU (I've had it reballed) in combination with a bad DC creating a short in 2 places.
    Also the CMOS was running low (which is also causing these odd issues).

It helped when I disconnected the power (I was able to start-up a few times after that before it died completely and I had it repaired)

21. myName15

The laptop protection circuit is doing what it's designed to do. If you want a more detailed diagnosis, give better description.

22. Steven Hildebrand

Make sure the power pack is plugged in *and* that it is working. Sounds like the battery is dead and it's not plugged in. See that all the time.

23. A. Haggith

My old Acer does that. For a while I didn't realize my charger cable was busted so I couldn't figure out why the computer wouldn't turn on. Just clicked and went off. Turns out the battery was dead. Power cord was pooched, had to get replacement power cord. Is the light on showing it's charging?

24. Luke

A bad battery could even be the problem. Try removing the battery and booting from AC power only. Also make sure any socketed chips are secure, chip rock from heating and cooling can cause them to come unseated.

25. David Hester

Bad CPU fan if by clicking on you mean powers up and shuts back down.

26. Will Knot

Clicking can mean a bad hard drive, as already suggested, but you said that the system turns off which could mean that there is either a issue with one of several parts. This could be a bad Motherboard, bad DC in jack, Bad ac adapter, or in cases even mad memory. If you are not computer inclined you might want to take it to a shop, but if are computer inclined I would first try removing the memory from the system and turn the system on to see if you get a beep code. if no beep code happens, check the adapter, if it has a power light and if the light stays on when you turn the system on. At this point if it wasn't the adapter its either the motherboard, the dc in jack, or hard drive. This point you either go to a computer shop, replace the parts yourself, or buy a new system.

Please updates with any info you get so we can help you further.

Can you describe the clicking noise? Clicking can sometimes mean the hard drive has failed -- which means your data is likely completely gone. A dead hard drive also requires that the hard drive be replaced and a new operating system installed.

Changing a hard drive isn't much more difficult than changing the oil on a car. I suggest looking for the service manual for your particular model of laptop and reading the following articles:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-signs-hard-drive-lifetime/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-diagnose-and-fix-a-dead-hard-drive-to-recover-data/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-hard-drive-replace/

Good luck!

remove the hard drive and see if you can boot from a live cd (hirens boot cd, linux cd...) if yes then it can be hard drive problem.

• charles

ok