How can I use my laptop and use my home internet connection when I travel?
Question by harryh /

Is there any hardware I can get so I’ll be able to connect my laptop to my home internet connection. I have spoken to my ISP and they told me that I have to get another account besides the one I use for home connection, and they will give me USB connection and be able to get internet from anywhere. The thing is, I don’t want to pay for 2 accounts. I know there is such firmware to overcome this. I’d prefer to connect to my own home connection through a wireless router, but I don’t know what to get and how it works. I’d appreciate any detailed help please.Thanks

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Do you want to be at, say, your local mall (meaning away from home) and instead of connecting to a coffe/book shop’s internet you want to connect to your house account, or do you mean while at your house you want to connect to your internet account using a wireless connection?

I am not certain about the first scenario, you could get a 3/4G USB modem to connect to the internet using Verizon/ATT/Sprint or another carrier from your location but that would mean that you do as your ISP said. You could cancel your home account and use the USB modem exclusively, if that a valid route for you. For the second scenario make sure you have a Wireless (Wi-Fi) Router/Modem installed and ask your ISP to troubleshoot and help you out with the connection, if you don’t then ask you ISP to upgrade your modem/router to Wi-Fi enabled.

Also check this question: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/broadband-service-isp-travelling/

Hope it helps.

For clarification, the wireless router only covers a small distances, i.e. around your house and maybe just outside your house. This is not a solution that will let you access your home internet connection when you’re traveling.

To my knowledge there is no other option than that explained by your ISP and Gustavo.

You can however use FREE wireless internet at many public places around the world (in Europe and North America for sure), e.g. cafés, restaurants, libraries etc. This requires that your laptop has a WiFi network card, which all modern laptops have by default. If your laptop does not have it (unlikely) you could get a USB WiFi adapter, which is really cheap (ca. $30-50 for a basic model).

If you are concerned about security, you could use a VPN connection.

Let us know what your motivation is, e.g. security and privacy or cheapest alternative, and we might have more suggestions for you.

• San_giljan

Hi, thanks for your help, you are right, i want to be out say at the local mall and connect to my home router, my ISP can give me a roving 3G account for which I have to pay extra, I know that I can cancel my home account and use only the the roving 3g, but the 3g is a lot slower that the i have at home. I’ve seen some wireless portable routers and wireless modems on dealextreme.com but I’m not sure if that will solve my wish, anyway thanks again for your help.