Why does my laptop heat up so quickly?

March 9, 2014

My laptop gets overheated very fast. What can I do about htis?

How To Fix An Overheating Laptop
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-overheating-laptop/

2. Tinkicker

This may seem common-sense, but it really matters about where your laptop sits. It's a world of difference between sitting on a hard, flat service lite the kitchen table, and sitting in your lap in bed on top of a bunch of wrinkled covers. Those vents on the bottom HAVE to have good airflow!
    I have to constantly be careful because my Chromebook vents out the left side, which is usually against the armrest on my couch...so I have to kind of angle the computer so that there's good flow.
    One factor no one has mentioned is the importance of updating device drivers.
    Wha? Huh?
    Think about it...the graphics card makes more heat more quickly in most laptops than anything else. Running older drivers means it's not as efficient as it can be, and it's probably working harder and producing more heat than it should. Just for kicks, you might try running Driver Booster by IObit Information Technology. It's the best thing for keeping my drivers updated that I've used so far.
    And of course, the graphics card isn't the only thing in there making heat. Updated system drivers make EVERYTHING more efficient.
    Of course, if you play a lot of video games, your laptop is going to be hot most of the time.
    Good luck!

3. Zakaria E

i think that is because you laptop is very dusty and the thermal paste is dead
    you have to clean your laptop from dust and apply the thermal paste
    if you try it you will see that your laptop is not getting to hot

There are all sorts of reasons why your laptop would heat up too quickly or overheat. Here are a few:
    1. Processor (or graphics) working too hard. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and monitor the "CPU Usage" graph. If it is in double figures over long periods of time (and certainly if it's approaching 100%) then your CPU is overworked. If this is the case, get back to us and we'll suggest ways to diagnose the cause.

2. Dirty heatsink/airways or blocked airways. Laptops are air cooled, so it's important the vents, heatsink and fan are not blocked or caked with dust. If they are, cooling will be ineffective. Solution: clean them.

3. Heatsink separated from CPU. The heatsink (a metal block, or "radiator") is attached to the processor witha small amount of termal paste which transmits the heat away from the CPU to the metal block. Unfortunately, on some computers the paste either loses its qualitises over time, or the heatsink gets separated from the CPU mechanically (e.g. if the laptop is dropped). The solution is to replace the thermal paste. It's too complicated to explain this in words alone, but there are excellent videos on YouTube showing how to do this (or you could ask a technician to do this).

4. Other cooling problems. The fan might be faulty (this is usually self evident, as it either does not turn or makes a rattling noise), the heat pipes have lost their vacuum (these are the tubes connecting the heat sink's metal block to the exhaust radiator). These are too technical for most end users to tackly alone, and a visit to a technician is warranted.