Why does my laptop hard drive not work sometimes?
Question by chansa /

My laptop has a 160GB SATA hard drive. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Does anyone know the problem with it? Please, I need your help, I don’t have money to buy another one!

right click on computer and choose manage and this will open Computer Management Window then click on Disk Management right click on your drive and choose change drive letter and paths and reboot pc.

You can also do cmos battery reset and flash bios, also check if your hard drive is well connected in your laptop

• Kez37

Why is my disc not loading?

Hello, at the risk of asking the obvious, How do you know that your harddrive works only sometimes?  Does the computer give you any errors?  and if it gives you any error, What does the error say? Does it shutdown? or Restart?  There are many reasons that this could happen, it could be that you need to update your drivers, cables are loose, incorrect shutdown, drive is dying, etc.  For know, the only thing I could say is make sure to turn off the automatic restart for startup/recovery, that way it would give you a blue screen and you can find out what the error code is. To do so, do the following:

— click on start and Pause/Break key at same time
    — select advance
    — click on settings under startup/recovery
    — make sure to uncheck automatically restart

On one of those times that your drive is working, try to run the chkdsk utility.  To do so, do the following:

— click on start
    — click on run
    — type cmd
    — when command prompt opens, type the following:
    — chkdsk C: /r  — if your operating system is not on C: make sure to change the drive letter to where your operating system is
    — press enter

• Nobody

More information is needed to answer your question. What error messages do you see that lead you to believe it’s not working sometimes, What BIOS do you have and what version of it. Etc…