Why does my laptop hang when subjected to the slightest shake?

July 27, 2014

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop (Windows 7) with RAM 3GB. My laptop hangs whenever there is a sudden jerk. Nowadays, even a slight shaking hangs the laptop. Can somebody suggest what is the fault in my computer?

1. Jeff F

This can be many different things and without more information I can not properly diagnose the issue. Some laptops ship with so called "shock protection" in the form of a physical drop sensor. In this case what is happening is the arm stops moving and "parks", suspending hard drive operation to prevent off track input/ouput. However, if your laptop's documentation does not specify a shock protection feature, then it is my opinion that one or more of your hardware device connections or cables may be loose.

I suggest that before you take it into a professional, run a diagnostic test yourself. Most modern laptops ship with a diagnostic utility which you must boot into when you start your computer. Once you're in the diagnostic partition, run a full test and post the results.

Make sure the memory RAM is seated correctly

• Siddharth V

Hi Hovsep!

It would be grateful if you can elaborate it or give some website link regarding this as I am a beginner & don't understand this.

One more thing -- Can I sort it out myself or do I need to go to computer repair person for this?

Thank you very much

• Siddharth V

One more thing I forgot to mention:

Sometimes when computer hangs, it stops any display on screen , i.e., blackout

Sometimes strange things happen. For example, rectangular patterns of moving colours pink, green, blue, yellow are observed which change to some other pattern when computer is subjected to some shake

check this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3btjMzE3kA
      just remove and replug the RAM

well for the second observation, it can be gaphic card problem!
      how the problem started?

• Siddharth V

The problem started all of sudden this year around March.
      The computer was purchased in 2010.
      All the installed programs are normally working.

maybe you damaged the hard drive by dropping the laptop last year or somebody else did it.

remove the internal battery and check if the problem repeat, you can try also to reset cmos battery.