Why does my laptop hang when I try to copy or open these picture files?

Pushpa Limbu October 26, 2012

I just bought a hard drive and I was trying to copy the pictures to it. Most of them copied properly but some of them cant be copied and when I try to open the pictures that won’t copy using my laptop it freezes. I can’t even right click it and copy, my computer hangs even if I click on the files accidentally. My laptop stops working and I have to restart it.

Does anyone know what’s going on and can anyone please help? Thanks.

1. Vivien Lu

1. you do not have permissions
    2. attack by virus

2. Benson Sanchez

Run a full system virus scan. it might be affected by virus. Does it make your screen blue? (BSOD)

3. Srinivas N

Probably files are corrupt also we cant rule out chance of malware go for a virus scan..also check if that part of hard disk is heavily fragmented (try defragmentation)

4. VickY ChiyaN

scan the whole pc by avast antivirus. it removes the virus of ur pc and it wil be alright

5. Aniket singh

Ur computer may be affected by virus.. Run a antivirus software and check for any virus .. Mostly viruses are the causes for system crashing

6. Naveen Kumar

virus or corrupt files will cause such kind of problems...............

7. Adam Campbell

The problems that you are having seem to indicate that the pictures are corrupted. If you have the time, you could try accessing the hard drive on your laptop by using a live Linux cd. If the pictures are actually corrupted then you won't be able to open them, however, if they are malware (which seems to be a popular diagnosis) then you shouldn't have any lag time at all, while being able to access the picts info etc.

8. Dave Rimmer

Sounds like they are corrupt see if you can delete one of them you can always restore it from the recycle bin again. Right click it see if you can open it with another program.

maybe locked and you do not have permissions.

10. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Maybe those files aren't actually 'pictures' but malwares. Try to scan your computer. If it still doesn't work then try to copy them from your friend's computer. If you could do it then the problem is in your computer.

I don't know if it's possible for hard drive, but everytime I buy a new SD card I should format it first, or it wouldn't properly work.

11. Nikhil Chandak

virus in ur computer or in the pictures
    always keep ur computer clean from virus
    or ask an computer engineer about ur laptop hang ...

12. Aditya Roy

Corrupt files can cause the problem you are having.

Run ScanDisk across the entire drive. You probably have corrupted or cross-linked files so the system ends up consuming all available memory and hanging as a result.

14. Sachin Kanchan

it may be due to some malware or virus...if unusual...

try scanning the whole computer, if everything fails may be you could lose those pics

15. Yiz Borol

Clicking on the files at all freezes? or just when you double click - trying to open them?

can you right click on the files to see properties?