Why does my laptop freeze, show a blue screen and then restart?

Aibangbee Nosa December 27, 2011

I upgraded my laptop, a HP dv6000 with Windows 7. It was working well but the fingerprint reader stopped working. When I finally got my fingerprint reader to start working again, my laptop began to freeze, show a blue screen and then restart. I restored the system to an earlier restore point to try and solve the problem. What could be the issue?

1. benn

If you have warranty change your computer or try a full factory reset look on YouTube to see how to do it if you don't know how to do it already!

It sounds a lot like what @ha14:disqus said - a driver issue with the fingerprint. However if you really want to get to the point I suggest to deactivate the automatic restart on error:

1. go to "Control Panel > System and Security > System"
    2. click on "Advanced system settings" on the left hand side
    3. open the Startup and recovery settings
    4. uncheck "automatically restart"

Next time your computer bugchecks (BSoD) it will stop at the error message.

Things you should write down (depending on what is stated):
    - Error Name (all CAPS with underscore for spaces e.g. "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL")
    - STOP code e.g. "STOP: 0x00000001 (0x1234567c .....)"
    - any file associated with the error (e.g. "tcpip.sys - Address 0xaa49d9de ...")

This will help to pinpoint the problem - if it was the fingerprint you will probably see it's driver file "something.sys" causing the error.

* the first HEX value 0x... should be enough, you don't need all of them

conflict, some drivers not installed properly, You might want check your system event log, there maybe clue as to which driver is causing it. disable the finger print reader in device manager and see if this can solve the problem, if yes possible conflict between hp and microsoft.

Hello, whenever your computer starts freezing and getting BSOD, you have to start by reviewing what changed in your system.  In your case, there was a driver update, so that means that new driver is causing your problems.  From what you say, probably you are using a driver in compatibility mode with vista or something.  Visit manufacturer's site and see if they have a driver for windows 7.  For now, I would say your solution would be to uninstall the driver and live without that option untill you find a proper driver for it.

Sounds like driver issues, Will it load up into safemode?

• Aibangbeenosa

YES WITH SAFE MODE IT WORKS WELL WHEN I USE ACTION CENTER IT TELLS ME MY COPROCESSOR DOES NOT HAVE DRIVERS AND WHEN I TRY TO UPDATE THE DRIVERS IT FAILS ALTHOUGH I HAVE GONE TO HP WEBSITE AND HAVE RESTORED MY SYSTEM IMAGE,IT HAS NOT HAPPENED SINCE THEN,BUT I AM STILL WATCHING

Hmm... Sounds like something corrupted the driver, which happens from time to time. Some Antivirus, Norton and McAfee, are really bad about messing up Networks drivers during a uninstall, but I am unsure what would cause Chipset drivers issues.