Why does my laptop freeze when I play videos?
Question by Sharhan /

I have quite an annoying problem here

First off, here’s my laptop specs :
a) Model : Acer Aspire 4520
b) CPU : AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (2.0 GhZ)
c) RAM : 2Gb (1.75Gb usable)
d) Display : nVidia GeForce 7000M
e) OS : Windows 7 Home Premium v. 6.1.7600

The problem is that whenever I played any clips, be it from the hard disk or even from the CD/DVD, it suddenly hangs & sometimes the monitor goes blank!

FYI, most of the clips from the hard disk were converted using the FormatFactory program & I’m using the KMPlayer as my main media player.
I have no choice but to restart the Windows everytime this occurs.

Below are some of the approaches that I’ve taken since the problem cropped up :
a) Reinstalled the OS (clean install)
b) Reinstalled the display driver.
c) Downgraded the KMPlayer to an old version.
d) Scanned the system for possible spyware/malware/virus infection using both Avast! Free Antivirus & SUPERAntiSpyware Pro.
e) Bought & installed a notebook cooler (not the cheapo one..)

But unfortunately, it still persists & I’m running out of ideas on how to tackle this problem! What gives?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Ath

happens to me on similar spec ASUS, after running over 10 hours.. clearly overheating

(vanilla wow blog.wow-one.com)

• Smayonak

I must second VLC as being a possible fix – and if that doesn’t do it, then heat as being a probable cause. Examine the vents – those AMD units are notorious for running hotter than their Intel-based counterparts. In the event that these solutions do not fix the problem, please considering performing a diagnostic. The goal is to isolate the probable cause.

To do a proper diagnostic, please try Orthos CPU Loader for stress testing and HWMonitor for temperature monitoring. There are other options, but these don’t require installation.

Both programs can be found in this Undervolting guide:

Orthos will need to be run in two different modes – one will test the RAM and the other will test the CPU. Simultaneously, as you are running Orthos, you will be monitoring system temperatures using HWMonitor. Be aware, however, that manufacturers have board temps all over the place. What you are looking for are rapid spikes leading to failure.

Hi Sharhan,

I am with Abhigyan here, try another player. Try VLC! I remember I experienced somewhat similar problems (not exactly though) when trying to play videos in BluRay format.

• Lpi Rcmp Grc

As the previous poster said it sounds like a heat problem, but it could be memory trouble too. My experience shows that a weak power supply shows up as random reboots, at least in a desktop PC. You could try Sisoftware Sandra and/or Speedfan to try and isolate the problem and determine temperatures of internal components.

These are generally indications of a low powered computer, or something wrong with the cooling unit. However, in your case you seem to have got these bases covered. The best I can suggest to you is try using another player and see if that helps.