Why does my laptop freeze when I leave a program open without working on it?

Jacob January 16, 2011

When opening up a program and I don’t work on the program for a few minutes, my laptop freezes completely. I have to shut it down and restart again. What causes this to happen?

1. Ali

tank u very very much "FIDELIS "
    my problem is the same as topic question .
    my problem is solve with ur help.
    tank u very much.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Ali!

Turning off hard disk when idle might help you. Follow these steps and check if there is a specific time for your hard drive to turn off. If there is, try changing it to a few hours or never. Hope that helps.

start>>control panel>>performance and maintenance>>Power options>>Turn off hard disks>>never

Hi
    you can have cooling problems, when laptop overheats it will shutdown itself to protect cpu.

Your antivirus can do this problem if there is an internet connection problem.

netsh interface ipv6 uninstall, then press enter and restart
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726950.aspx

you can have display driver problems, so uninstall graphical card then reboot and let windows to install one then you can update.

go to control panel> power options> and then put: turn of hard disks to never.

you can try to fix explorer

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
    2. Click File | New Task(run).
    3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
    4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionImage File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
    6. Close the Registry Editor.
    7. Restart the computer.

OR
    Exit Explorer, the shell (Start menu, Taskbar and the
    Desktop) will the closed and the other applications continue to run. You need to manually
    start a new Explorer.exe process by launching Task Manager. Use the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
    key sequence to launch Task Manager. From the File menu of Task Manager, choose New
    Task (Run…), type Explorer.exe and press ENTER.

4. Saikat Basu

There are a lot of reasons for your laptop stalling. Check for viruses or spyware. These cause many computer freezes. Run a spyware and antivirus check to fix this.

It could be a conflict with some program like a task-scheduler which kicks in when your computer has been idle for some time. Disable your screensaver from the Display Properties applet. Also check your Power Options. Try changing them and see if the problems recur.

It could also be related to the APCI power setting in Windows and the computer's CMOS setup program, but you have to check around for the specific details on this as this is a bit out of my league.

Jacob,

please provide us with more information!

Does this happen with any program, e.g. a browser, office etc. or just with specific programs? If specific, which one and does it matter how many other programs are open?

What is your operating system and version?

Since when has this been happening?

Is this an old laptop?