Why do none of my laptop files open anymore but show the ‘open with…’ dialogue?

Robel Temesgen May 17, 2012

My laptop files do not open correctly. I don’t know what happened, but all of my programs don’t open. It says ‘open with’, so what am I supposed to do? Please help!

1. deenis

please whenever i boot my laptop, it shows "open with" dialog box. please, help me. thanks.

2. Amanda Manning

y all mi files is ink files i need help in fixin mi files like da way it was

3. ReĆ½ Aetar

run a system repair

Hello, what operating system are you running? Easiest by tedious solution would be to click on file you want to open and assigned a default program to it. Provided the program is installed, that should correct the problem.

use windows restore point to revert back to earlier state before the accident.
    If you used registry cleaners; normally they do registry backup, use the one earlier the problem.

-- right click on start button
    -- select properties
    -- in start menu tab, click on customize
    -- find the default programs entry and make sure to mark box next to it
    -- click on ok, then apply and then ok

-- click on start
    -- click on default programs
    -- click on set your default programs and wait for it to load
    -- click on windows media player
    -- click on choose defaults for this program at bottom of screen
    -- select the options you want this program to open by checking the box next to it. If you see any entries that are not media files, such as word, pdf, etc., that are not multimedia files, uncheck them.
    -- Once you have selected the defaults for it, click on save
    -- try the new settings

on another pc download from winhelponline
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip
    extract the reg files to usb key then transfert on your pc nand click on them.

If, I understand your question correctly then it would appear that the file associations have got a little messed up, this can be because of installed/uninstalled programs etc. Which type of files are you referring to? Are documents or excel files or something else?
    If you know the file type, you can re-associate them by clicking on 'Default Programs' in the Start Menu otherwise post what file types you are having a problem with.