Why is my laptop DVD/CD Drive no longer reading media?
Question by Dave /

I inserted a CD to install some scanner software and my laptop CD/DVD drive will spin it a few times and does not play it or recognize it. Any thoughts why it does this and how to get around it?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• Nyakiago

If the cd opens showing its contents,choose the option after deleting the filters n it wil autamatically play,thanx so much,it worked 4 me!!!

Dave,

did you follow the suggestions above and did you manage to fix our troubleshoot your CD/DVD drive? Let us know how it worked out for you. Thank you!

Hello, you might want to try cleaning the disk with a brush cd/dvd cleaner. It is like a regular disk with brushes on it that cleans the lenses, fingerprints, dust, etc. from your drive.
    http://www.allsop.com/classic-cleaning/ultra-pro-lens-cleaner/

Also, you can try a cd/dvd cleaner like the one shown on the following link:
    http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/cd-dvd-cleaner

Also, if your disk is scratched you can try scratch removers, although if the scratches are too deep you might have to take the cd/dvd to a place where they have commercial scratch remover machines:
    http://www.allsop.com/classic-cleaning/dvd-scratch-repair-/

Have you tried exploring the disk? Instead of letting autoplay play your disk, try using the explore function. To do so do the following:

— insert disk on drive
    — double click on computer icon
    — click on your drive letter
    — right click on drive
    — choose explore
    — find the executable file
    — double click on it

If none of this work, try playing your disk on another computer. If it plays on another computer, then I am afraid you have a bad drive. You might have to replace it.

Spinning up and down a few times usually means that the CD/DVD is not readable.

This could be duo to a dirty CD/DVD surface, scratched surface, damaged by too much sunlight or it’s physical age. The other option is that your drives lens is dirty or outworn (damaged duo to age and usage).

I would clean the DVD/CDs surface carefully and the try again. Cleaning the drives lens is a bit tricky (disassembling required) and may do more harm than help so I wouldn’t try that if you are not experienced.

If the Software was bundled with your scanner you might be able to find it on the manufacturers homepage within the Support section where you also find the latest driver for your scanner.