Why doesn’t my laptop connect to the Internet even though it has full signal?

zack November 3, 2011

Why am I not getting connected on the Internet when it shows that I have a full strength signal?

Connecting to Wireless Networks with Windows Vista
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878035.aspx

Hello, I would try to flush the dns by using the ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt.  Once that is done, release your ip address by using ipconfig /release command and then I would use the ipconfig /renew command to get a new address.  Of course it all depends on typing the right password.  If you use the ipconfig /all command what is the ip address you are getting?  Does it start with 169?

Hi Zach,

Are you sure the password to the router is correct? If so, go to Start -> Run/Search and type "cmd.exe" without quotes. When the command prompt appears, type in "ipconfig" and press enter. Note the "Default Gateway" value, which will be an IP Address, you will need it in a second.

Next, (with command prompt still open) type "ping google.com", what is the responce from that command? Lastly, remember that default gateway address? Type "ping " followed by that address. It will look similar to this: "ping 192.168.1.1" (without quotes). What is the result of that? 

Basically we are checking to see if your computer is able to reach an external network (Google) and then checking if the computer can resolve the routers address, allowing us to isolate the issue.