Why won’t my laptop connect to my HDTV via HDMI?

darby August 8, 2012

I have an Xbox and it works fine, but when I try to connect my laptop it does not work. Why could that be?

1. Freud Iomc

Had this problem just the other evening.... use your laptops keyboard combination to push your video output to the TV... if you see a blank screen, it's the resolution of the TV. Use the TV remote try different settings until you find one compatible with your laptop.

Hope this helps.

2. Hoku Sarroca

ohhh a friend of mine had the same problem, it didn't work on her tv but worked on someone elses tv, this I must share with her. Thank YOU

3. Kevin Green

Many laptops have a key that controls second monitors/projectors. Mine looks like a laptop and a second screen. It should be in your function key row. try taping that once you plug your tv in. most bring up a little window with different options you can flip through. Usually what you want is duplicate mode.

4. Burhan Ahmed

press windows Key + P . and select mirror or extended mode

• Oron

I second that, but initially only use extended mode, so that you can find out what screen resolution works best on the TV.

5. Xulsmar

Check the resolution of your tv, make sure your computer is putting out that resolution. tvs aren't as versatile as monitors.

6. ferdinan Sitohang

Please read the manual of your television and laptop carefully. Usually it just a matter of configuration like Bruce said

7. milko

Just. Press the home key and the letter P at the same time :D

8. Tristan Kuhns

You can fiddle around with it in the graphics control panel
    Just right click your desktop --> Click Screen Resolution.
    When the window pops up, 2 monitors should be displayed. From this menu you can change the dominant display, or secondary.
    Hit apply to make the changes
    worst case, inspect the jack on your computer, stuff happens I once had a broken display port.

9. Rob Bannister

Right click your desktop and click screen resolution to enable your hdmi output as an extended desktop

Many laptops have a keyboard combination you must press to switch to HDMI output to another device. Check your documentation for specifics.