Why won’t my laptop connect to my college wireless?

Qwazz Bre October 20, 2012

My college uses a wireless connection for students that requires the user to login via a webform before using the wireless connection. To be specific, when someone connects to the wireless hotspot for the first time, then tries to load a webpage, it redirects to their login and once that’s verified, browsing is open to them as per usual.

Problem is, for some reason, my laptop refuses to load it. I’ve tried three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) and all of them time out. Chrome reported a DNS lookup failure of some kind – I didn’t save it.

It’s not the connection’s fault, though. Other students use it fine, and my kindle can use it fine. But not the laptop. It used to work last semester, but I’m guessing I must have changed a setting that’s causing this to happen.

So – any tips on where to check for problems? I know this is somewhat vague, but I don’t know what else to add.

It was indeed the DNS. I'd set it to Google's awhile back and had forgotten; changing it back to automatic fixed the problem like a charm.

Thank you all for your responses and advice, I greatly appreciate it. Learned a few things too.

Since the page is served using special DNS servers, it sounds like your DNS settings have been adjusted. Perhaps you changed them so you could watch Netflix or something? Or maybe you specified Google DNS servers for speed increase. Either way, delewte those settings and it'll grab the defaults from the college network.

I picked a terrible day to create this question since the weekend just started. But I'll try out these suggestions once I go back tomorrow. Thank you all for the advice, I much appreciate it. Will report back if I can fix the issue.

you might have a firewall

5. SAURAV AZAD

please delete all the network existing in the wireless connectivity and then try

6. Jesse Manalansan

Maybe you're college network has a Network Authentication page :) Ask your school IT Administrator for help. :)

7. Dino Paskvan

Check the properties of your network adapter and make sure DHCP is turned on. Your computer needs to get the IP adress automatically.

8. Declan Lopez

you could forget the network on you computer and then reconnect to it, that has worked for me a few times

9. Alex Perkins

See if you can get the IT dept to have a look, they have more options than we do regarding the network.

• Ahmed Khalil

yes you right

10. Adrian Rea

Of course your easiest bet is to go to the college IT department and ask them to fix it, they normally do. Unless of course you are logging in on a username that has now passed and you are no longer a student. Get the IT department to fix it, that is what they are there for! :)

see if Obtain DNS server address is set to automatically
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

12. Andrew Wright

Hi Qwazz Bre,

This sounds like you have cached credentials from previous connection attempt.

Go into Wireless Connectivity section and find wireless SSID's for College Wi-Fi and delete them.

As you have siad that it doesn't matter which browser you use you get the same results it would appear that it's something behind that and the only thing that I can think of with the information provided is the above. Try that and let us know.

Regards
    Andrew

13. Dimal Chandrasiri

is there a proxy in the collage network. I know, we have a proxy in our university, and in order to connect you have to have the proxy set up correctly!

No proxy as far as I know. All we have to do is connect to the wireless connection and log in at the redirect page.