Did my laptop charger damage my battery?

Abhigyan January 23, 2010

My friend ended up charging a battery rated 65 W with a charger rated 90 W. He noticed that his battery life went down considerably. Could this be because of the 90 W charger? Also, can this lost power be recovered using the correct charger?

1. Battery

"Run the Battery Down"Once the notebook battery is completely drained, recharge it for at least 12 hours without using it. The reason for this is because the notebook battery will hold a charge significantly better than if you do not do this." you have a try it,mayby to help you.

2. tinas

Hi Abhigyan,

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know a 90W charger should not cause damage to a battery that could be charged with 65W. 90W will charge the battery faster.

Battery life typically goes down when the battery isn't dis/charged correctly. That easily happens with a laptop.

A few years ago HP had an issue with batteries not charging properly. It could be solved with a new BIOS version. So HP support still recommends to update the BIOS.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't think your friend has a chance to recover the lost power.

• Abhigyan

The thing is my battery is a brand new 6 cell and only started giving trouble after I started charging it with the 90W. Dunno why it's happening. Already lost out on 2 hours out of its 7 hour life :(

• admin

I am not sure if this is going to help but did your friend tried recalibrating the battery? Some laptops come with in-built functionality for that. For others I guess there should be a software for that, try Googling.

• Abhigyan

Thanks for the idea. I'll let the guy know. Any idea if Dell Laptops have the option built in?

• Davy

Take care with recalibrating - it kills some battery types. Check first!